1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Switching ISP Account - Archived Emails Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Poerboy, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poerboy

Poerboy Thread Starter

This may be a simple question and hopefully hasn't been asked this way before. (I did a search on the site before posting this but didn't find my situation.)

In order to take advantage of a deep discount that is only for new customers, I am going to cancel my Spectrum ISP account that is in my name and my wife will open a new Spectrum account in her name - same house, service, my modem, etc - no changes to the current set up/location. I was surprised a Spectrum customer service rep suggested we do this, but said since she hasn't been a Spectrum customer she would qualify for the discounted rate for two years.

My question: I use Outlook Express 6. I know that mailbox address may change and that is not a problem. I only use the Spectrum TX.RR.com address for a few people and accounts. All my other stuff is on online email services (Yahoo, Hotmail), so notifying the few contacts that I use for OE is easy if my address changes. But what happens to the old messages in my local folders? Will I still be able to access them? I'm thinking I will since I can turn off my internet and still get into OE and see messages in my folders. Correct? Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor, x86 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (197 GB Free); F: 232 GB (91 GB Free); G: 232 GB (202 GB Free); H: 465 GB (45 GB Free); I: 1863 GB (345 GB Free); J: 1863 GB (610 GB Free);
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, M61PMV
    Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the email account is setup as POP, then they will stay behind. if it's set for IMAP they may be lost at some point; IMAP is a two way sync with the email service, POP is one way. Check the account setup in Outlook. Also get a new computer that isn't running Windows XP and Outlook Express, both are pretty obsolete and hindering your internet experience.

3. Poerboy

Poerboy Thread Starter

It is a POP account, so that is good news. Thanks for that info, Triple6.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice