1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching motherboards

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by harveybarcy, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harveybarcy

harveybarcy Thread Starter

Joe gave me his old P3 computer (case and all less hard drive).Can I mount the XP C drive from my P2 case in Joe's P3 Wndows98 case and power up without problems? How do I square this with MS? What problems and how to resolve them?
    Thank you very much.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You will probably get snags on almost all of the hardware. I did that once with an XP drive. Wouldn't even boot up........can't remember the vast array of error messages......Ended up reformatting and installing it that way into the new machine.

There are probably exceptions to this, but that was my nightmare of an experience.........

What a nice guy, that Joe is ;)

3. twotugs

twotugs

From the Microsoft site:

If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.

I've seen it tried, with results similar to AcaCandy's. I've never dealt with Microsoft on a personal level before, but I would expect they'd be somewhat reasonable about this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice