1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching over to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rickvo, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickvo

rickvo Thread Starter

Soon I will Switching over fo\rom Win 2000 to XP Pro. I have a home network and use a broadband connection. As XP is Different than W2000, I would like some advice as to how to setup the XP pro account and security settings for broadband... Should I use a password to log on the computer..ect.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I use XP Pro and have Broadband through AOL, using the McAfee firewall so when I downloaded the latest version of SP2, it's firewall deferred to McAfee and everything went smoothly. My wife and I have separate logins but neither needs a password so we don't even get a Welcome Screen any more. To do that, I went from Start>Run and typed in control userpasswords2 and then hit Enter. Untick the "Users must enter etc" box in the Users tab and then set each account name and password for the system to remember.

As for your Broadband connection, you can connect with or without your browser client by setting up an old style dial-up connection but how you do this will depend on your MODEM or router.

While you have the opportunity to start afresh with XP Pro, I suggest you create a slipstream version of the OS with the SP2 and burn it on to a CD ready to install complete. Try to restrict the number of programmes that set themselves to auto start to save having to tinker with msconfig and wind up with a Selective startup. For the first time in four years with XP, I'm now on a normal startuip and boot from on-switch to dektop is 29 seconds. Selective will always take longer and has the potential to cause problems

3. rickvo

rickvo Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice... I will try to unclick as many autostart programs as I can .. I didnt know about the selective start problems and that it takes longer. What do I do about the programs that dont seem to have a way to turn off the auto start?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice