1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching PSU on/off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FrankTheTank, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Thread Starter

How damaging can this be to a system? If your last resot comes to switching your PSU off w/o shutting the system down.

I can count how many times I did it too :/ well over 5 times already.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Shutting the power off with the ps switch in the back of the ps will not [imo] damage hardware. It will however corrupt files and cause the need for a reinstall of the os.

Next question is why are you doing this? Is this the only way to switch off the computer after a hard freeze or lockup? The problem needs to be fixed. Post what is happening; there are ways to tell if you have a hardware problem or a software problem.

3. FrankTheTank

Earlier I oc'ed my videocard and I went over its limit. Windows would boot up normally but after all my startup programs were loaded (20 secs give or take) my screen would fade (standby), so there was no way I could reboot my computer not beign able to shut down the system through windows :/ So I reached behind my sys and turned off my psu.

I did underclock my videocard to its stock speeds after I uninstalled its drivers.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, does the system work normally now? If not, there is a chance that you damaged the card. Overclocking can and sometimes does cause permanent damage to hardware.

5. FrankTheTank

Thankfully everything is back to normal. It kinda makes you think twice about ever overclocking again :p

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, OCing anything has its risks. Just don't get too greedy and you are usually OK though. What kind of card are you tweaking? There are programs that basically do the clock for you and back off when it gets close to its limits.

7. FrankTheTank

Asus Radeon 9600XT I was using Asus Smart Doctor (Over drive util) when I reached my card's limits 530/350 I decided to go further and used Rad Linker....

Using Rad Linker I set my speeds to 550/360. Next reboot and poof!

Not even going to bother oc'ing using Asus Smart Doctor (which is safe), because as some people said "Isn't it good enough?", which is it.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

ATI tool. Find your max core and max memory. Back off a bit on both by about 20 mhz and set it to boot with radlinker. Google ati tool.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have learned a lesson that fortunately did not cost anything.

As I always tell people, "If you want a 3200+ chip, buy one. Do not expect to buy a 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+ speed without problems" Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not. The only way to run reliably is to run at the speed the component was designed to run at.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I agree, I boot mine to 412 and 365 which is higher than stock because my card is a pro and the speed I set is xt speed. However, MSI used XT cores in these cards so I know I am safe on the core. My memory will go to 385 with no artifacts and no heat issues, I backed off to 365 default 9800 xt speed. The memory is overclocked still but not to the max. I can run this card at 450 core and 770 memory with no artifacts. Like I stated earlier, don't get greedy. It is hard not to, but when you have to wait sometimes for a year to get something nice for your machine you don't want to cook it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!