1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching Users explorer.exe freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jl_lensman, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jl_lensman

jl_lensman Thread Starter

I have a PC running WinXP SP2 that has 5 users (2 with admin rights and 3 with user rights). The computer runs fine when a single user is logged on. The problem is that when fast switching to another when someone is already logged in causes the second user desktop and mouse to freeze. The only work around is for the user with the frozen desktop to start the Task Manager and "end" the explorer.exe process that pertains to their account and to then restart it using the Task Manger run command. Then the second user can run computer with not other problems. The odd thing is that if I fast switch back to the 1st user logged into the system there is no problem with their Desktop or mouse. But if I log out this 1st user and sign them back in then the desktop and mouse freeze. This occurs user regardless of what combination or order I use for the users. Basically solo user equals system fine and fast switching to more users creates problems for the added users.

Here is what I have tried so far without fixing the problem (after each effort I would try to Fast Switch user).
    1. Verified WinXP fast switching is "turned on". Have turned it off and turned it back on.
    2. I have reviewed the Event log for errors. There are no entires current that pertain the problem.
    3. I have Norton Antivirus on the PC. No errors found. Have run the PC in standard and in safe mode to run an entire system virus scan.
    4. Have run Spysweeper as well in standard mode and safe mode... nothing found.
    5. Have run MSCONFIG to disable all non-essential services including Norton Antivirus and Spysweeper. Second user desktop stili freezes when switching.
    6. Uninstalled ATI graphics software.
    7. Reinstalled latest ATI graphics software.
    8. Put the PC into safe mode and run the System File Checker.
    9. My system restore stopped working so I had to reinstalled WinXP. I used the second "repair" option not the 1st time it offered during the process.
    10. Installed SP1
    11. Installed SP2
    12. Installed all Microsoft updates.

I can think of much else to do. Not sure why I must end the explorer process and restart on the affected user every time. This didn't use to happen. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried creating a new user and see what happens to the new user

Also do the users have profiles for different screen resolutions etc?

3. jl_lensman

jl_lensman Thread Starter

Created new user same problems.
    All users have same Deskop resolutions.

4. JustJudy

JustJudy

You could try making the users member of Power Users. Not sure if it will help, but it solved a number of problems I've run across.:rolleyes:
    Good Luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!