1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching Users Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Loste, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loste

Loste Thread Starter

You know the sound that the computer makes when you click on start-> Log Off -> Switch User? It's a specific sound like when you turn off your computer or when you restart your computer, or when you log in to your computer. That "Windows" sound. Well for me, that sound has disapeared everytime switch users. My normal sound is okay, and the log off/log in sounds are still there, but for some strange reason, my Switch User sound is gone. I was just wondering what caused this, it's not really a big deal, but I am just curious as to what happened.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Don't know why it stopped, unless some one disabled it or deleted the file.
    You can reset/select the sound you want here:
    Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices
    Sounds Tab
    Last two items under the Windows section are Windows Logoff and Windows Logon
    Files are usually in the Windows\Media folder:
    Windows XP Logoff Sound.wav
    Windows XP Logon Sound.wav

Jerry

3. Loste

Loste Thread Starter

I have checked there and everything is there and nothing is corrupt. I did a system restore, and at first the sound seems to be back, but after I restarted my computer, the log off sound seems to have disappeared again. I am tempted to think that this could be a spyware problem? But I have checked my log of HijackThis and everything seems clean.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this reg file. Save it to your desktop and double click on it to merge it to your registry. Reboot.

If still no luck,

Perhaps you should post your HijackThis log anyway.

Please click here to download and install the HijackThis installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!