1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching Xp to another computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dukeflookem, Nov 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dukeflookem

dukeflookem Thread Starter

Is there a way to remove xp from one computer and install it onto another computer?

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You'll have to format the hard drive that currently has Windows XP on it, then install Windows XP on the other computer. You'll then need to call Microsoft to explain what you did so you can get a new registration number.

3. deuce

deuce

I have a question... I got a damaged hard drive for this computer I was building a few months ago and didn't realize that it was damaged in shipping until I had it up and running for a few weeks and it crashed. I had to reinstall me, would I need to do the same thing with the registration number, or would what I did not matter?

4. deuce

deuce

Oh yeah, how is XP anyway? Is it worth the money to upgrade? ...cuz Me really sucks.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If you're just reinstalling on the same computer, you don't need to call Microsoft. If you're replacing the hard drive in the computer you shouldn't need to call them either. You can change a certain amount of the hardware without having to re-register. You can read up on this at Microsoft's web site.

6. volrathxp

volrathxp

yes you have to re-activate windows xp if you want to switch it to another pc. you will have to call MS and tell them or else they'll think you're pirating. :) You can change about 6 hardware devices in your pc before having to re-activate, if you do not change your network card. once you do that, then it's like 3 devices or something. for oem boxes (i.e. Dell, Gateway) with preloaded copies, you can change as many hardware devices as you want until you change the motherboard, because the WPA (Windows Product Activation) is not tied to the specific hardware but the BIOS identifier, so if the board gets replaced then you have to reactivate. it's confusing yes, and lots of thanks to ms for incorpoorating such a confusing activation scheme. btw, xp rocks nonetheless. it's by far better than all the other os's out there. faster, stabler, much more compatible with hardware. except for modems. i've heard horror stories so far about modems. you'd think with all the new hardware ms could get modems to work to be compatible with their software. oh well. i'm running a win xp pro standalone box and it just rocks. gotta go now, later!

volrathxp
    :D :D :D :D
    :D :D :D :D

7. deuce

deuce

wow... now I wish I got the XP upgrade rather than a new sound card. I am stupid. Me is making me crazy. XP sounds awsome though... thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/57619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice