1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Swollen Capacitors ...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gary R, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Was at a computer store recently and overheard a Tech tell a customer in effect that the Motherboard wasn't going to last very long -- maybe couple months -- because "some capacitors are swollen and will fail pretty quick."
    Is there such a thing? I haven't came across the ternm before.

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Yep, there is such a thing

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, see it all the time. Usually its because the capacitors themselves are faulty; there was a company that ripped off a design from another company but screwed it up and their capacitors were faulty - or at least thats the story I've heard. It can also happen from powersupply voltage problems.

The board can last a few seconds or not die ever. I know one board thats been running over a year without any issues I know of, but then I've had to replace the motherbaord in many others because the system wouldn't even turn on.

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Just recently I was puttin together the PC in my sig, was originally a Chaintech and it was dead when I got in mail. So I went for the Soyo, running strong so far and the Dragon 2's have lots of bells and whistles.

*shines his bells/whistles* :D

5. winbob

winbob

What surprisingly HASN"T been said yet in this thread is that 'swollen' capacitors may explode! :eek:

Nothing good is happening inside. The swelling is caused by chemical reactions and heat. When the pressure exceeds the strength of the casing...Pop goes the weasel!

Sometimes very dramatically! :rolleyes: (n)

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

Yes, I come across motherboards with swollen/leaking capacitors frequently. This problem has affected all motherboard makers, although Abit seem to have copped a large amount of it. Even Asus's high-end server motherboards (e.g. dual Opteron) have suffered from it, it's not an old problem and you may still run into relatively new machines with this problem. It is possible to replace the capacitors (by soldering new ones in their place) and I knew of a guy who would do this for a fee, but it's a difficult soldering job and not something I would attempt myself. The symptoms of a board with failing capacitors are...
    1. it won't power up
    2. it will power up but will reboot randomly, especially under load
    3. corrupt files
    4. nothing at all--some computers function fine for years with this problem

7. hangman75200

hangman75200

????????????????????? got me

8. Arcadion

Arcadion

You got me too, what exactly is the matter? :rolleyes:

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If it's under warranty, you might get the manufactuer to replace the board, or fix it.. There are people who will replace the capacitors, for a charge.. Normally, if you have to pay to get it fixed, it's better to just get a new board.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

11. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Ok thanks everyone for the info.
    Board in mine is a 3+ year old MSI-6330 (Lite) so probably, considering its age, might be good idea to give it a good lookover occasionally. I would imagine that soldering in new capacitors on a board might be the electronic equivalent of Brain Surgery. :)

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It shouldn't be too bad but I haven't had to do it - not really worthwhile for most shops.

I believe Abit was one of a few that openly and quickly admitted to the problem but it does indeed affected every manufacturer I can think for one reason or another.

Oh, and when they explode its really cool :)

13. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

really cool if its not your pc eh? lol

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well, yeah!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice