1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sygate Firewall or another?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by theriffs1, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theriffs1

theriffs1 Thread Starter

Does anyone know about the free version of sygate firewall? I am trying to choose which free firewall is the best for the novice user with windows xp?

2. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

I loaded Sygate a while ago on a test machine. Never ran any online tests so couldn't tell you how effective it is nor compare it to any others. Although I haven't used it for a long time now, I imagine you would find Zone Alarm to be an extremely popular, effective and easily configurable firewall to use. I noticed not long ago somewhere that there is an add-on for all versions (the free one too) called ZoneIce (or something similar) which, like the BlackIce add-on provides details of where a possible attack is coming from along including ip details and a host of other information.
    From memory, the free version of Sygate gave me a 'nag' screen when launching indicating this was the free version and I think you had to close that prompt manually. Didn't like it so I uninstalled it. You might want to try it and uninstall if not to your liking.
    Agnitum Outpost also has a freeware version of it's firewall. I'm using it at the moment on the test machine. The default installation came up as stealthed on the GRC.com site. Good start. At first glance it might look daunting but I don't think it is. Much like ZoneAlarm, when an application runs for the first time while online, a prompt will appear asking whether you want it to connect or not. You will also have the option of what kind of program is connecting; ie as a browser, ftp etc. Outpost will then configure it as per it's default settings for that type of application. One last thing before this turns into a novel, Outpost also comes with plug-ins such as an Ads filter, DNS cache, Content filter, HTTP log and Attack Detection. Most of the options can be configured to your liking but accepting the default (until you become familiar with it) seems safe enough.

3. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

I have used Sygate for a couple of years with great success....its very easy to use and I have tested at Steven Gibsons site for firewalls and it passed with flying colors.......just my 2 cents worth

4. buckaroo

buckaroo

I've been succesfully using the free version of Sygate w/o any problems. If you're a FW novice, I understand ZoneAlarm is considered more user friendly. However, Sygate was my first FW and I really had no problems with setting it up, etc.

5. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

7. RSM123

RSM123

I too have been using Sygate Free F/W and unlike the above poster I don't get any sort of 'nag' screen.

Have tested it here :

http://www.pcflank.com

All tests passed except Ports 137/139 (File Sharing.) Since corrected by a fix found here at TSG.

8. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

Sorry, tried it again. It must have been some other software that gave me a nag screen..DOH!...boy, do I feel sheepish :eek:

Some days you're the dog
    Some days you're the lamppost

Think i'm the lamp post today....

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

sygate personal firewall is awesome. Better than zone alarm.

It works just as good

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice