1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Symantec AV 10.1/2 Context Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drewgraham, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewgraham

drewgraham Thread Starter

I've got a laptop that's had a pirated version of Symantec AV 10.1/2 installed. I say 1/2 because it's running XPSP2Pro and 10.2 is only available for Vista, but the dlls and exes say they're 10.2.

Anyway, I've got to get rid of it. I've done a manual uninstall, which was a fun three hours, and we're 95% there but there's obviously still remnants of it in the Explorer shell somewhere because when you right click on an icon, it pops up asking for the MSI file for a reinstall (don't have it), and also on startup.

There's no references to Symantec or suchlike in the explorer shell, so my Qs are how do I find what's causing this, and how do I get rid of it?

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. drewgraham

drewgraham Thread Starter

That's only for Norton products, isn't it? - I've a Symantec AV product.

4. zabusant

zabusant

As far as I know Symantec=Norton;) What you have is a Symantec line of Norton antivirus.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice