1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Symantec BootMagic & DOS volume in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ign, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ign

ign Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have been surfing to figure out one problem but with no significant result.
    So, I'll try to describe the situation. There is a pc(in my educational institution) with 2 volumes on hard drive. First is 500 Mb FAT boot volume, second is FAT32 allocated for Win XP. Boot volume contains DOS with Win 3.1 shell and Symantec BootMagic. When pc starts running you must select one of the two OS.
    When DOS is selected it assigns C letter to FAT volume and begin working, second volume is not available for obvious reason - DOS doesn't support FAT32, but I can't find Symantec files on FAT.
    If you select Windows XP and run diskmgmt program you can see those two volumes - Windows volume has C letter and DOS volume is anonymous(that's why Explorer is helpless). Furthermore, all right click options except deleting are not active for this DOS volume. Diskpart utility doesn't see that volume at all. How can it be possible, since Windows supports FAT file system.
    So, I would like to know is there any way to make DOS volume accessible in Windows. I know that Symantec boot loader provides options like hiding certain volumes in OS but how can it hide itself in DOS. If it's Symantec volume protection, can it be overridden. I'm beginning to think that boot loader was being loaded via BIOS on startup somehow, but it's seems that local network is disabled in Windows.
    A purpose of doing that all is to program in Windows with convenience insteed doing that in poor DOS. But running Turbo C from FAT volume is next step to accomplish that. So, do you have some ideas about that protection or just a guess in which way should I look. Thank you all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice