Symantec Ghost 11.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drixt

Hey guys, i gotta ask u something before i go ahead and buy this software.
so yesterday i bought Symantec Ghost 11.0 copyright <c> 1998-2006 so i booted up my system with the disk in it
so i happen to see that this symantec ghost 11.0 is not compatible with a 64 bit system ( windows 7 ultimate )
so i said im gonna ask these guys and see if they can tell me about a software just like this one: DOS and 32 bit to backup and restore your computer.
but in my case im looking for one thats compatible with 64 bit systems and at the same time it uses DOS to backup and restore my system.
and one more thing u think i can make an image of my entire system? with symantec ghost? if there is one that can make this happen please let me know the name and version of it so i can buy it right away ...
thx folks.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I haven't had a single complaint about my Ghost ... Since I donated it to the local landfill.
I'm now using Acronis

You won't find anything that runs in DOS that supports hardware made in the last 10 years. It is never used any more.

Free system imaging/backup software:

Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express
Comodo Time Machine
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Paragon Backup & Recovery
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You probably can't recover from a DVD ... Only a data file in an external HD.
Image files are usually bigger than a DVD can hold.
I'd use Acronis .. or maybe the free Macrium

drixt

so you wouldn't use any of those up there mentioned by Elvandil?
look, i really don't care if i have to buy an expensive one i just want to be able to make an image of my entire system and save it into my external hard drive, the way all my programs and games stay intact therefore i want to buy the best one according to my needs, in other words when i click this image my system will restore back to what it was before with all my programs and games all together running just like it was before ... i hope you understand what i'm saying and thanks for your reply. (thank you all)

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
so you wouldn't use any of those up there mentioned by Elvandil
For the freeware Imaging applications ..
Macrium is at the top of Elvandil's list .. And is the most recommended on a Windows 7 Forum ..

Acronis is the most popular Costware Imaging Program.

To get all the functions in Macrium that Acronis has .. you have to pay extra .. then Macrium costs about the same.
Ghost is the most popular in the local landfill.

Windows 7 has the tools to do that already built in.
Save an image to and external drive, and restore it by booting with the Win 7 DVD, or the System Repair CD, which you can also create.

Click Start, type Backup and Restore, press Enter.
Two links on the left:
Create a system image
Create a system repair disc

Have to admit though that I Use Acronis, been using it since before I got Win 7 when I had Vista on this system.
Acronis is a bit more flexible as I can exclude files that don't need to be part of the image (large data files backed up elsewhere), the Win 7 imaging program doesn't let you exclude anything.

Easeus Todo Backup is a free one I would add to the list, I've used it on Server 2003 and had no problems with it.

drixt

well i don't want to exclude anything at all i want all my programs, games and files in the backup image of my system ... so let me ask you this if i use windows 7 tools to make my own system repair cd does that mean that my whole system is going to be in a DVD? or something like that or it will just provide the tools to restore the image of system saved into my external hard drive? is that it?
if so could i just a new folder in my external hard drive and save the image of my system into it?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The Windows 7 repair CD is not the same as an Image file backup.
You really need to make a W7 Repair CD.

Why use the W7 Imaging when there are better and less problem prone utilities for this .. That can be used on any computer system

Click Start | Help and Support, search on Backup and Restore, lots of information.

The image is stored as a virtual hard drive. It will be located here on the external:
Code:
[COLOR=DarkRed]<drive>[/COLOR]:\WindowsImageBackup\[COLOR=DarkRed]<computer  name>[/COLOR]\Backup YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS\
(Time is UTC)
The vhd file itself will have a GUID type name like b540c923-d5b1-11de-8f63-806e6f6e6963.vhd

The Repair CD just lets you boot the system to run the program to restore the image. It's the same as booting with your Win 7 DVD, and selecting Repair your computer, or using the F8 menu, and choosing Repair your Computer. You must use the disk to restore an image though.

You can backup directly to DVDs, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you get a bad DVD, you may have to start over. It can also take a large number of DVDs.
My backup would be 244 GB before compression if I chose all three partitions; even assuming 50% compression, that's still 122 GB, or at least 26 DVDs.
The backup includes all Restore points and Previous versions, so that adds to the size.
I can choose to only backup the System Partition, but that happens to be the Vista partition, not Win 7, and has all my large files (virtual drives for VMs), it's still 196 GB. There is no way to backup just the Win 7 partition.

Acronis let's me exclude those vhd files, as well as excluding Restore Points, and Previous Versions, and I can backup both the Vista and Win 7 partitions and it's only 10 GB for both. 4 GB for just the Win 7 partition.

The Restore feature restores all or nothing, it's not meant to use for restoring indivdual files, that that can be done, but you can't use the Backup and Restore program to so so.

I just did a backup of a Dual boot XP/Win 7 system, size used on both partitions is 9.8 GiB, the size of the comp;ete system backup using the Win 7 tool is 8.13 GiB
With Acronis, with no files excluded, normal compression, the backup is 4.49 GiB.

drixt

so basically what you are saying is that, it'll be better if i just make a backup of my partitions and not entire system? ... now is Acronis able to make an image of my system like a clone exactly the same and be able to restore my entire syste together with all my applications and games and won't have to install my games again or my softwares, you get what im saying? of course im gonna save it into my external hard drive 2TB ... Acronis is the best u got for what im trying to do? and also one more thing let say my system wont boot up again because a nasty virus just infected all my files and dlls etc.. am i gonna be able to restore my system with this Acronis system image i created or not? if not what could i do in a situation like that

sounds like what you want is to make your computer whole after a disk crashes...
I don't know much about it, but Im investigating RAID. Its supposed to spread your entire system over 2 or more drives so when one drive fails the other one or two or six drives still have your entire system and your system doesn't fail,
sounds like the way to go if one can afford it.

Backing up the partitions is the same as backing up the system. If you have separate partitions you have the option of choosing which one(s) to backup at a given time. With the Win 7 backup however, you have to backup the system partition(s) when doing a System Image. You can do a data backup that just backs up your files.

Acronis makes smaller backups if that's important, but isn't free, unless you have a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive.
Easesus is a pretty good one, and it is free.
Acronis has a 15 or 30 day trial, you can download it and try it out. Try Easesus. Try the Win 7 backup. Try Macrium Reflect or DriveImageXL, then you can decide which will work best for you.

With all of them you create a boot cd that will boot the system, then restore the files, to the same drive, or to a brand new drive if yours dies.

Imaging Software

Free:
Macrium Reflect
DriveImage XML
Easeus Todo Backup
XXClone (Turorial Here)
If you have a Seagate HD, you can use this, which is based on Acronis:
Seagate DiscWizard
And from Western Digital:
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Commercial:
Acronis True Image
DriveImage XML
Macrium Reflect
Norton Ghost

drixt

how does this boot cd wok, can u explain me that a little bit ... im kinda curious about that cus if ur system is not booting up anymore how u gonna be able to use this backup?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online