1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Symantec Solutions AI Snapshot Issue

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by psych0naut, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psych0naut

psych0naut Thread Starter

We've got over 300 users who have MS Office 2003 on their workstations and we're going to be upgrading them to Office 2007 Enterprise. I have the Office 2007 installation files copied to a server share that everyone has rights to. I built a bare-bones box that has only WinXP SP3, Fully Patched, Office 2003 Professional, and Ghost Solution Suite 2.5. Using AI Snapshot I captured the changes that occurred as I upgraded that box to Office 2007. When I run the resulting snapshot package on another Office 2003 workstation it proceeds to a certain point and then I get the following error(s):

The following error occurred while running:

Cannot delete registry value:

'HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\Installer\Componen...

This occurs 22 times and I press [Skip] each time. Installation completes successfully and finished product seems to be fully functional with the following minor exceptions:

"New Office Document" and "Open Office Document" atop the Start Menu no longer reference anything. The icons are replaced by the generic "executable" icon and clicking either results in "Problem with Shortcut: ...action valid only for installed products" so clearly they're remnants of the 2003 install.

Any ideas why this particular section of the Registry won't allow keys to be deleted? I'm planning to use AI Builder to edit the package and delete the parts that try to delete the affected Registry keys however when the error(s) occur the full message is truncated so I can't see exactly which Keys are failing to be deleted. Using AI Builder I see there are many more than 22 keys that start with:

'HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\Installer\Componen...

Does AI Snapshot create an error log that would contain the full error message?

Any other thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thx in advance!

2. helpful

helpful

That is not a supported way of packaging Microsoft Office 2007....

Use the the setup.exe /admin parameter to launch the office customize tool that will allow you to customize the setup install instructions and save to an msp file.

Place the msp file in the update folder for the customizations to be automatically applied when the setup.exe is launched.

Or you can call the msp from the command line setup.exe /adminfile "<custom install instructions.msp>"

For details on packaging Microsoft Office 2007 click here.

If you want more help let me know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice