1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SYMTRAY.EXE Crashes Constantly

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mousemishka, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mousemishka

mousemishka Thread Starter

I hope this is the correct Forum for this question.

I keep getting these severely annoying crash gaurd messages:
    "CRASHGUARD HAS DETECTED A CRASH IN SYMTRAY"

On the details I getthe following:
    "SYMTRAY CAUSED FAULT #c0000005 IN SYMTRAY.EXE AT ADDRESS:0197:00404f13"

I have had 332 Fatal Errors reported in the last ten days alone. I tried to get through the Symantec Support site, but it will not recognize my computer for some reason. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance-KTH

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Do Start > Run > MSCONFIG and UNselect the entry for Crashguard.

CrashGuard doesn't!!

It causes more crashes than it stops. And, the latest releases of Norton products no longer offers it.

Now, if you have any failures you will see the real windows one. And, if you need help with it, post back.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

Welcome to the board. Crash Guard is a bug ridden mess. So much so that Norton discontinued it in later versions. I would suggest disabling or even uninstalling that one utility then see if you get any messages before going any further.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

whitphil and I were typing together. Use his method in msconfig 1st before uninstalling if you like. It's sound advice.

5. mousemishka

mousemishka Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank you for the information. You are right, CRASHGAURD DOESN'T!!!

I have uninstalled that utility, and have had no probs since. One last question...I currently run Win98SE, and am thinking of upgrading to XP, good move or dumb one?

Again, many thanks and bows of appreciation...KTH

6. Miz

Miz

The first step when considering upgrading to XP is to download and run Windows XP Upgrade Advisor.

Then use the information to make your decision.

A few caveats: While Microsoft says 128 megs of RAM is minimum for XP, if you want it to run well, 256 is what you need and more is better.

XP requires a little over a gig to install so keep that in mind if the harddrive in your computer isn't very big (10 gigs or less).

XP is really, really fussy about RAM. If the RAM modules you have are the least bit flaky, Win98 won't complain but XP may flatly refuse to install at all.

Finally, if you do decide to go with XP, a clean install (wipe the harddrive before installing) is the only way to go. You may get it done with an install over top of 98 but odds are against it. You can do a clean install with an upgrade version of XP. It will just demand you insert your Win98 CD during the installation process and once it has satisfied itself you own a previous version of Windows, it will complete the XP install.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mousemishka:

How old is your computer, what speed is the processor, and how much RAM is installed?

Are you considering making the upgrade from 98SE to XP because you think it might solve the problems that you're having? XP is not a "miracle cure" and may actually cause you more problems if it's not compatible with some of your computer's hardware.

I have 98SE running on a 7-year old HP 8160 and it runs very stable 99% of the time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice