1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Synaptics Touchpad Driver Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OMyStarz, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

Touchpad just stopped working while I was using it. Here's what's going on:

Fn + F7 does nothing
    Synaptics ps/2 Port Touchpad shows in Device manager, however it is hidden and has a yellow exclamation point. Error code: This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24).

I have updated the drivers from the Gateway website by first uninstalling the drivers that were present. No go. I then updated the drivers from the synaptics website via the same method, nothing. I've tried searching for a driver via device manager....nothing.

As I mentioned, I tried Fn+F7 and nothing happened. Also I notice that the driver software is not loading in the tray like it used to and I can't even make it run by trying to open the .exe file.

Any ideas? I've been searching for an answer for this for a while with no luck.

2. aly369

aly369

uninstall the drivers then reboot and use the ones that came with your laptop

3. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

I didn't think of that, I just found the disk and I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks Aly!

4. aly369

aly369

your welcome here to help

5. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

Ok quick update..... the disk that came with my laptop is a recovery disk and I don't seem to be able to pull drivers from it.

On another note, I uninstalled the drivers in add/remove programs and also removed the device from device driver. When I rebooted the computer the touchpad is listed in Device Manager but is no longer hidden. It's using the Microsoft drivers but still gets the yellow exclamation point with the error code: This device cannot start. (Code 10).

Now what?

6. aly369

aly369

ok can you give the make and model of pc

7. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

Gateway MT6730 running Vista32.

8. aly369

aly369

9. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

I have done that.....when I tried to download the driver it says it already exists on my desktop. I'm overwriting and am going to try it anyway, but I seriously doubt it will work.

I've tried Fn+F7 many times....but I'll reboot with the new driver and try it again.

How frustrating is this touchpad??? Thanks again for your help.

10. aly369

aly369

yea it is stupid

11. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

Ok I did just as you said. When I rebooted I unplugged my usb mouse and nothing. Tried Fn+F7 before I replugged in the usb mouse and nothing happened.

Now in Device manager it's back to being hidden with the same error code as before: This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24).

12. aly369

aly369

download this
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/9bb87e/n/US6018XP_2_zip
    save where you want to go to divice manager and click update drive software
    then click browse for software on my computer then find the file were you saved it and click on the inf file and click ok then next
    then reboot
    try it now

13. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

I'll do it now. Fingers crossed.

14. aly369

aly369

15. OMyStarz

OMyStarz Thread Starter

Sigh.....

"The best driver for your software is already installed" "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice