1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Synaptics TouchPad not working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taylornel, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taylornel

taylornel Thread Starter

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L305 and has a Synaptics TouchPad. I use Windows Vista.

For a few weeks I had been getting messages saying "Synaptics TouchPad has stopped working, click here to solve the problem" or something similar. I didn't think anything of it because the mouse was working fine, so I just hit the "X". I'm not even sure that is a part of the problem even because it has stopped coming up.

Lately the mouse will work fine and after being on the computer for about an hour or so, the mouse will slowly stop working. I can still click and when I tap the touchpad, that will still click. I just won't be able to move the mouse. Restarting the computer does not fix it. Usually I just plug in a mouse and use it for 20-30 minutes and by then the mouse is working fine again.

Any suggestions?

2. TekTime

TekTime

Press FN and F7 at the same time. Post back with results. :)

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Since a reboot doesnt fix the problem I am leaning towards a hardware problem.
    Lets try this.
    Go to the toshiba site and download the latest driver for your model.
    Just save it to the desktop but dont run it...we want to keep it on hand is all
    Next lets unistall your touchpad software...........Do this through control panel>programs
    Do not use device mgr
    You will have the basic windows driver for the touch pad...very limited on options but very smooth and bug free.
    Run the unit like this for a few hours/ if your unit works fine...then I am going to blame the problem on software.
    Next if the unit did fine for several hours...then run the file you saved on the desktop....sometimes a simple reinstall of software can fix bugs.
    If the problem returns I will see if I can locate you a slightly different version driver....the toshiba drivers usually work good and toshiba does a decent job of fixing software issues after the fact.
    I have a dell...I used toshiba drivers for a long time..there was one that that did act up after about an hour...Am currently using a sony driver..I need to mention I have an alps touchpad however..they are known for being jerky etc.
    Your touchpad brand however usually is smooth and trouble free..but there is still a chance it is a software issue

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you say "mouse", do you mean the pad itself or are you using another actual mouse? If you are using an external mouse, disable Synaptics or change its settings. You can opt to have the pad disabled when another pointing device is attached.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice