1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Synaptics touchpad suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grahambanes, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grahambanes

grahambanes Thread Starter

I have a new Acer Aspire 1670 laptop which has worked fine for the past few weeks. However, I turned it on this morning (it worked fine last night) to find that my touchpad no longer works.

I don't feel this is a hardware issue in the sense that the touchpad has become unplugged from the internal PS/2 port, because the touchpad works for about 3-4 seconds after I log onto Windows/when the desktop loads up. That's the only time it works, it doesn't even work at the welcome/logon screen.

After those 3-4 seconds, something obviously happens that's preventing it from working.

I thought it might be my Wacom Graphire II graphics tablet, which is plugged in via USB 2. However, my touchpad and tablet have worked fine together for the past few weeks and have never caused any problems.

I unplugged the tablet, and uninstalled the tablet and touchpad drivers. I then rebooted, and - navigating around with the keyboard - reinstalled the touchpad drivers and rebooted. It still won't work.

Any ideas?

2. winbob

winbob

Two things:

1. Does the touchpad have an indicator light that shows you when it is activated? The one on my HP does.

2. Is there an On/Off button above the touchpad...there is on my HP. Did you accidently turn it OFF :eek:

3. grahambanes

grahambanes Thread Starter

There's no indicator light... but I've just noticed one of the function keys has a distorted representation of a touchpad on it, and - lo and behold - touchpad now works. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

4. winbob

winbob

Graham,

Good deal.

Para-phrasing the guy in the 'Karate Kid'..."Wipe on, Wipe off"...."Turn on, Turn off" !!! :cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice