1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

synaptics touchpad

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by renegade600, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade600

renegade600 Thread Starter

I have two laptops where the touchpad works great but its driving me up the wall. I keep going to places I don't want to go. I need to turn off the touch feature for enter and cannot find it. Is it available yet for vista?

2. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

I understood the first part but, um...

Huh? :confused: What are you talking about? Do you mean that you can't enter Vista with the touch pad?

Please clarify. :)

3. renegade600

its hard to explain. You can enter on the touchpad by applying pressure on it other than using the buttons or enter key. Unfortunately it is way too sensitive for me so I need to turn that particular feature off.

4. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

That makes more sense. Well I'm sure that there is an option either within the device's control panel or within Windows itself.

Vista is organized different from XP, and I'm on XP right now, but you are going to want to look for something like "Mouse Options" or "Mouse and Keyboard Options." See if there is anything that lets you tweak the touch sensitivity in Windows.

If you can't find anything, then look for a touchpad-like tray icon in the system tray (make sure that you expand it first). Right-click on it, and a menu should come up. Your looking for something like "Options," "Properties," "Preferences," or "Settings." Click on the menu option and then you should come up with a control panel where you can hopefully change the sensitivity.

If there is no icon, there still might be a CP - look in the program files and in the Control Panel for anything related to your device.

If you can't find the CP, then you might need to download Synaptics' drivers from their website. You'll probably need to know the exact model number or name of your touchpad to do this.

5. renegade600

already tried all of that :)

6. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Even checking for drivers and stuff?

How do you configure it in XP?
    Does everything else work correctly with the touchpad, and when you installed Vista, did it install and find the drivers OK?

7. awwitsok

awwitsok

A couple of laptops I worked on the touchpad was also controlled in the mouse functions. Might want to look there. There were some drivers to load for the touchpads, but when I installed windows, it worked fine.
    Thats my 2 cents worth.

Just a thought.

Good luck!!

8. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Yeah I was trying to say to look in the mouse options, I'm not sure if that came through right...

9. ncogneto

ncogneto

If you haven't already you need to go to Dell and download the Touchpoint drivers for Windows XP (I'm assuming you are running Vista), after you finish the download, select "run" it will extract the files and ask if you want to create the directory, select yes/ok. After it extracts everything it will try and run the automated installation, however you will get a error message that your OS is not XP and the installer will abort. From there go to device manager, select your mouse and select "update driver." When you are prompted select the option to locate the drivers yourself, and browse to the folder that was created earlier (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\Rxxxxxxx), Vista will find the drivers and likely ask you to reboot. After rebooting go back to the mouse options under control panel and you should be able to make the necessary changes.

BTW...if you have any problems installing the drivers, try and turn off UAC (user access control)...you can go to Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts/Change Security Settings, from there DESELECT the box (provided it's checked).

Not sure if you still needed it, but just in case, I hope that helps.

ncogneto

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice