1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Synaptics

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jmayer, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmayer

jmayer Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire 9300 and everything works great but tapping the toucpad produces a right-click and a context menu appears whenever I click to open something or simply click on my desktop.
    I'm pretty sure the settings are correct..I just don't know how to make tapping just a left click.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do 2 clicks usually open a context menu?

4. jmayer

jmayer Thread Starter

tapping once and tapping twice both open the context menu as if I were clicking the right click button on a proper mouse.
    to open anything I have to click it then select "open ____" from the context menu.
    I've uninstalled synaptics once and installed it again but nothing changed.

5. jmayer

jmayer Thread Starter

I just uninstalled synaptics again and without synaptics, tapping still produces a right click.
    Is this a hardware problem? I'm not extremely computer savvy, i know a lot, but I am lost right now.
    maybe a windows problem?
    ahhh!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm thinking that there is an adjustment somewhere for key repeat rate that you should be able to change. That may be in the Control Panel, but maybe the BIOS, too.

7. jmayer

jmayer Thread Starter

That was the very first thing I checked, and it's right handed.
    Like I said, I uninstalled synaptics, and the problem persists. It is worth a shot however, to try to plug in a standard mouse.

8. jmayer

jmayer Thread Starter

I changed it, but it had no effect. Wouldn't it only affect the keys anywhere, and not the touchpad?
    I hate to ask, but are there any other ideas as to what the underlying cause of this is?

9. caraewilton

caraewilton

Here is a bizzare suggestion.
    Basically it is as if you have changed the setting for you mouse to left handed, thus the left and right buttons have been reversed.
    Have you thought of checking that this is infact not what has happened. Control pannel, mouse and look under the general settings, not the synaptic settings.

10. caraewilton

caraewilton

try something else which might help determine where the problem lies. Plug in a normal mouse and see what happens if you left click. If it still responds incorrectly then you know it is a general setting, if it works like it should, then the problem lies with synaptics.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice