Sync desktop - laptop - hard drive - cloud

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Barbera

I'm using a hard drive to store all my files at home and I have my desktop and lap top both pointing to the hard drive, so that whatever computer I'm on, I am accessing and editing the same files.

I'll be moving away for the winter and am looking for a cloud solution where I can take the files on my hard drive, and duplicate them in the cloud, so that every time I access and edit a file in the cloud, it re-writes it on my hard drive and vice versa.

Both my desktop and laptop are Mac. OS X El Capitan

I'm using Google Drive now, but as far as I can tell it requires I transfer all my files to a Drive folder that lives on each computer. That won't work because when I access the files on one of the computers to edit, it doesn't change it on the other. So I would need the Drive folder to be installed on my hard drive/server, and I don't think that's possible.

I much appreciate any suggestions/solutions

etaf

Wayne
Syncing across devices is how google drive should work
onedrive
dropbox
icloud drive
all work the same as syncing between devices

so you edit a file on PC A and save onto the onedrive folder on the PC and all other PCs logged into the onedrive/googledrive/dropbox etc
will see and re-sync the updated file

I will have to think How that may work with an external harddrive as well

i have 4 PCs all synced via onedrive/dropbox and so any files are available to all the PCs A,B,C & D where ever they are , so long as they can access the internet and be kept in sync
even using pages on an ipad willsync across all the devices using icloud drive

onedrive is limited to 5GB storage for free with a MS email account like outlook.com / hotmail.com
dropbox is limited to 2GB storage

i thought google drive did do the same syncing , but not used google drive for a while

Barbera

Thank you for your reply. I just got off the phone with Google and it seems the only solution (if I stay with Google) will be to install Google Drive on the hard drive/server and put all the files in that.

When I install Drive on one of my computers, I have to duplicate the server files and put them on that computer in order for them to be available in the cloud. So any changes I make accessing them in the cloud are not reflected on the server. Grrrrr.....

I was using Cubby for awhile, and it seemed to do what I needed, but I never full explored it and now it's not available.

etaf

Wayne
with onedrive or dropbox - it will work

you would install on a PC and copy the files onto that folder on the PC
now the files will be synced across to the server automatically , but using your internet upload speed and so maybe slow
then you install onedrive/dropbox onto any other PC - the fact you have onedrive on any pc logged into the same account , means those files are automatically synced between device
So if you delete a file by accident on a PC onedrive folder - if all the other PCs are connected to the internet - the onedrive files will be deleted from all those devices
if you edit a file by mistake again all are synced together - so beware of that issue

BUT those files will not be on the external harddrive

you can also login via a browser and download and edit the files on any ones PC - or if word/excel even edit using the online version of MS Office

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online