1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

synchronizing audio w. video

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mezzerooni, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mezzerooni

mezzerooni Thread Starter

90% of the videos i try to stream through either k-lite or winmx (esp. k-lite) have okay video quality, but the audio almost always starts ahead of the video, and the picture never catches up. even when they do start together, there will often be a moment of clipping, after which the audio is off to the races again.

there was a recent case where i tried repeatedly and it finally did synchronize, but in general it is too distracting to be able to enjoy and too much hassle to try to haywire together.

the first few times i experienced this i just figured i'd grabbed a corrupted file, partly because the VERY first one i tried worked perfectly.

it isn't a matter of needing different codecs, is it? if anyone has experienced this and worked through it, i'd appreciate your input--and of course anyone else's informed advice.

thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is a common issue when doing video extraction from my TiVo, and the solutions all seem pretty convoluted. I'm still looking for a simple solution to this issue as well. :)

3. mezzerooni

in a sick way it's nice to hear it's common AND convoluted. i don't feel quite so inept if someone who's a 99.9% tech is wrassling with it. still, if it ever gets clearer, i'll appreciate hearing from you- and /or anyone else who may have got closer to the bottom of this. hope it doesn't come down to "ya takes yer chances...."

4. JohnWill

I haven't spent much time on it, but there are apparently solutions. I'm waiting for the guys that are developing the TiVo extraction tools to make a few strides before I take another run at video extraction. I'd love to be able to save some of the movies and shows on DVD after editing out the commercials. I have several that worked out well, with the exception of the video/audio sync issues. Curiously, one of them was perfect, but a couple of others had a noticeable lag.

5. mezzerooni

not familiar with TiVo. does it have some edges over k-lite or win-mx?
    overall, is this just a situation where we have to face the fact that it just ain't practical to expect video downloads to work? i can accept that, but it still leaves me wondering why so many people bother to go through the motions of file-sharing of video content. not that they SHOULD. ahem.
    or are we talking about two different things? doesn't sound like it, but i never cease to amaze myself with my capacity for wishful thinking....

6. JohnWill

TiVo is a DVR (Digital Video Recorder), like a VCR with a hard disk instead of tapes. It also has a service that knows the TV schedule for about two weeks, and you can program recordings well in advance, get a season's pass for a show, etc. Of course, you can quickly skip all the commercials, pause live TV, backup, etc. I'd hate TV without TiVo, it makes a world of difference.

7. mezzerooni

yeah, wouldn't you know. i just went to the TiVo site, and it IS a different kettle of fish. great idea, though. too bad it's not in canada yet.
    ironic, then, i guess, that it is plagued by the same audio/video sync problems afflicting more 'shadowy' applications.....

8. JohnWill

The TiVo doesn't have any problem when you just play the stuff like it's designed. When you try to extract the video from the box to record on DVD's, then the audio problems surface.

My TiVo has been "hacked" a bit, I have an Ethernet board installed, and a 120gig disk. I've installed Telnet, FTP, and a web server onto the box, very handy. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice