1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Synchronizing error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by unintentionaltec, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unintentionaltec

unintentionaltec Thread Starter

I recently had a server meltdown and had to replace the server (Windows Server 2003). Now several of my network computers (Windows XP Pro) are trying to synchronize offline files to the old server that had a different name. Everytime my students log off of the computers, they get the message that the offline file was unable to connect. The network path not found.
    I have tried changing settings in the synchronize from the accessories, but have had very little success. It may help for a short time, but usually the problem resurfaces.
    How can I tell these computers to stop trying to synchronize the files?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Just a thought, try running mobsync.exe on each machine and disable the function.

3. unintentionaltec

Will that completely disallow sychronization? or just for the files that want to synchronize to the old/invalid server?

4. Lance1

Lance1

You should be able to select what you want to or don't want to disallow.

5. unintentionaltec

I tried using mobsync.exe on one of the computers. I did it while logged in as the local administrator. When I logged in as a student, it still tried to synchronize the files. Any other thoughts?

6. unintentionaltec

Lance1,
    I think I figured it out....I have to go to My Computer, choose Tools, choose folder options, open the offline files tab, and delete both kinds of offline files. Even though the mobsync.exe properties button showed no files in the Offline Files Folder, there were 23 files somewhere in cyberspace that needed to be deleted this way. Thanks for your suggestion!!

7. Lance1

Lance1

Glad you got the fix.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!