Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synchronizing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Rockn 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Currently I use Microsoft Outlook 2007 with Windows 7 on my home computer and have around 5 e-mail accounts that go into 1 inbox using POP3. I recently started a new job and received a work e-mail that uses Outlook 2003 with Microsoft Exchange Server. I cannot access the e-mails through POP3 and so can just access them through the Web when I am not at work.

I would like to have access to all of my old e-mails at work so that I can search through them and would also like to see my tasks and calendar. Before I knew how my work e-mail was set up I was planning on synchronizing 2 outlooks using dropbox and true crypt, but I don't think this is possible. Is there a way I can run a 2nd instance of Outlook at work with the pst file from home so that at least I can have access to searches of my old e-mail? Is there a way to synchronize my home tasks or calendar with the outlook 2003 exchange server at work? Or can I use both a pst file and have the work e-mails stored on the server at work?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I don't strictly separate my work and personal lives, so when I am work, I might spend some time working on something not work-related, if I come up with a really good idea, or if I think of something that I needed to do I might take care of it quickly at work instead of maintaining a to-do list for when I am home. At home, I will frequently do work-related tasks. For efficiency reasons, it would be nice to consolidate all of my e-mail into 1 place and be able to access it at work and at home. If I used dropbox with a pst file, I don't see how there are any security concerns for my workplace, if anything I would need to be careful to maintain my own data, but dropbox is supposed to be extremely secure at baseline and if I used true crypt I think it would solve this problem.

But in addition, I have a lot of work-related e-mails in my Outlook at home from my previous employer, and I don't have access to any of these at work. So I misspoke a bit by saying that I wanted to synchronize my personal and work e-mails, because these are work-related. I also have an e-mail account I use for all of my previous colleagues. I didn't give them my new work account because it was a big hassle trying to let everyone know that I was losing my previous account and I'm sure I lost a lot of contacts, and I don't want this to repeat itself with this company since I have a specified contract here for a certain number of years.

Even if I just had access to my old e-mails, and didn't check any of my other e-mail accounts at work, it would be very useful to have access to them and would increase my productivity.

#4 ·
If you are at a workplace that allows that sort of thing working on personal things on company time I would ask the IT department to set something up for you. If they allow you to make separate PST files for your different accounts then go ahead and do it. Some companies also make anything that touches their email or file system as company property so be wary of what you do.

I just access my home stuff via RDP and my work stuff on the corporate email system and then they are truly separate.

#5 ·
It sounds like you have achieved what I am trying to do, is RDP something that I need to purchase and can you provide some links? Can I do it with a regular home computer or do I need specialized hardware requirements? I did some google searches and it looks like there are microsoft versions as well as open source. Presumably they are secure.

Although I didn't state the breakdown, as I mentioned I have a lot of work-related e-mails in what I call a personal account because it is from POP3 from my now-deactivated previous work account, and this is what I am trying to access. Maybe I shouldn't be calling it a personal account. But regardless, I am graded on results so they don't care whether I work at the office, from home, or how I spend my time. This is my subdivision within the company, however, so I won't be getting any special treatment from the company-wide IT department.

#6 ·
If you have a Windows box at home it should already be on there. The hard part is setting up port forwarding on your router and opening up port 3389. Then you can connect from anywhere to your home computer by accessing the WAN IP address of your router.

I should also mention that there are other programs out there that will do the same thing, but since Windows has Remote Desktop installed natively I suggested that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.