1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Synctoy Securely Over Network?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nmaster64, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nmaster64

nmaster64 Thread Starter

I've been wrestling with the problem of syncing files between my desktop and my laptop for a long time. I was happy to discover SyncToy, which I feel handles the issue quite well. However, I find a fundamental flaw in the program in that I must share the folders I wish to sync over a windows network.

My router is secure, running DD-WRT firmware and the network has a password and I'm really not concerned about outside intruders. However, I would like to sync some folders that I would prefer roommates and visitors not freely browse through. At the moment My Network Places gives everyone on the network free access to everything I want to sync.

Is there some way to password-protect the folders and still use SyncToy efficiently, an alternative to SyncToy that would solve this, or any other solution to where at the very least the folders being synced would not ever be viewable by just standard network browsing?

Thanks for your help.

2. nmaster64

nmaster64 Thread Starter

Anybody? [​IMG]

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well, I investigated my favorite, Syncback, which works very similar to SyncToy in my opinion but with more options, one of which is to zip the files but to password protect the zip file is a feature of the retail version of Syncback ($30). I also haven't investigated how a password protected zip file impacts automatic syncronization across network drives.

So while that might work, there is probably a better way that I don't know about.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well if you set up File and Folder permission as well as permissions for the Share you should be able to configure your network so that you are the only one who has access to those shares.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I thought of that too but couldn't answer the question about whether or not SyncToy would also retain access to the shares.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice