1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

syntax error proble with AOL image support

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by spindoctor, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spindoctor

spindoctor Thread Starter

HI, My problem is with aol image support, i have recently changed isp & saved all my images on disc. I have downloaded aol image support but when i try to open any of the images i get the message command line option syntax error. type command /? for help. i am using windows xp professional. can anyone help. thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Rockn

Rockn

What image format? What are you trying to open them with? The image support is only for opening them in IE I do believe.

4. acraftylady

acraftylady

I am guessing they are trying to open .art files. AOL will only give you that choice when saving to the net if you don't have your compressed graphics setting right in the AOL browser and I have never heard of someone saving everything in .art and then burning to disk to open later. You got me confused because I have been with AOL 5yrs. now and I have never even heard of AOL image support so I will learn something new. The only thing I could find was a patch for it.

Patch

5. spindoctor

hi, they are listed on the floppy disc as art. files, all my images open with windows fax & picture viewer. thanks

6. spindoctor

also i changed over from aol to ntl as my isp, maybe this is relevant?.

7. acraftylady

acraftylady

Most people I know on AOL don't save as .art. You get that choice when your graphics compression setting in AOL is wrong and you just change it and then you are able to save as JPEG. What is the reason for saving as .art because I know little about it? I found this info so maybe it will help you. If you still have access to AOL there is probably some way to open them with AOL but I have no clue how you would do that.

AOL uses a proprietary graphics format called .ART. The problem is that people not on AOL can't view .ART graphics. Here's how to convert them to a usable format.
    Difficulty: Average

Time Required: 15 minutes

Here's How:
    1. Right click (click and hold Mac) on the graphic.

2. Choose "Save Picture As".

3. Click the drop down box next to "Save as Type".

4. Choose either JPEG or GIF.

5. Type in a file name.

6. Click the Save button.

Tips:
    An alternative is to view the same page using a browser other than AOL's, and follow the above steps.
    Remember that graphics on Web pages are protected by copyright. Do not use without permission.
    If you want to change these graphics, you'll need image editing software such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.

8. spindoctor

thanks all, seems i can open them by clicking on properties & changing view to internet explorer, thanks for all your help though

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257510