1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sysprep taking out Help Assistant Profile?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Theflux00, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theflux00

Theflux00 Thread Starter

Gurus,:)

I have a XP DVD image I'm trying to streamline to fit my needs at my location. It's loaded with service pack 3. After I get done preparing the OS they way I need it, the last thing I do before I turn it off is run sysprep, like always.:cool: After I reboot and create the image and load it onto a new system, everything is perfect, except that the help assistant profile is missing, and it is crucial to my job as we use remote assist everyday. I'm having to run a help assistant .bat file we made that will put the help assistant profile back in.

I thought it may be the imaging software, but its happening with Acronis and Ghost. But also, why would the imaging software corrupt something so small inside the .GHO or .TIB file and not anything else? So I really don't think its the imaging software.

I've noticed that if I do not run sysprep, the help assistant profile is of course, still there. But in my process for streamlining the image, I need to put it on our domain to receive the most current updates.

I've streamlined other images in the past without this issue, it seems only to happen on this image. The only differences I've noticed is that it has service pack 3 (which I cannot take off):(. I've also tried older versions of sysprep, versions I've had success with in the past.

I've searched the net for clues but have come up unsuccessful. So I thought if there were in fact answers out there, they will be here for sure.:D Any Ideas? THX! :confused::confused:

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Theflux00,

I seem to recall posting a message here probably in the WinXP forum or maybe in this forum, that one of the index.dat files is crucial to retaining the Help Assistant Profile. It sounds like for sure that the sysprep deletes all of the index.dat files (where one of them should be kept to prevent the problem). There is a utility whose name escapes me that is the only one that does not delete this particular index.dat file.

Note: the utility is called Index.dat Suite, and it is freeware.

There is a specific path to the index.dat file that gets deleted that is causing this problem - it may be this path:
    C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache

Download and apply the fix in post #5 of this thread: Solved: System Information -> Help and Support? by mike5532g. Note: be sure to do as mike said and read the readme file after you unzip the fix file and before you apply the fix.

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice