System 32 help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djmykyoung

So, my computer will not turn on. I get to the screen which asks me how I would like to start windows 'because the Power or Reset button was pressed, blah blah blah.' Below that it reads, 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys'
So far I have reasigned it so the computer will read the Cd drive before the hard driver when it turns on. I put the XP disk in to try to repair it, but now after I have done this my CD drive will not open either...
Can any body please point me in the right direction?

managed

Allan
In the Recovery Console type CHKDSK /R (space before /R) and press Enter and the PC should check the hard drive for errors and fix any it finds, this can take a long time on a big drive so be patient and let it finish.

To get out of the Recovery Console type EXIT then press Enter and the PC will re-start.
This will allow you to get the CD out, the drive won't open when the Recovery Console is running.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online