1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system administrator

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by christine20273, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christine20273

christine20273 Thread Starter

i am having problems getting to the system administrator, i set it about 1 year ago and cannot remember who i set it under, there are 3 user accounts and all tell me i need to contact system administrator to remove programs.

2. TooBad

TooBad

Welcome to TSG!

What OS are you using?

It may be possible to delete the password file and that will reset to a default administrator account with no password. I have used that with NT4 and W2k, but am not sure that it still works with XP or Vista.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

On the Welcome screen hit CTRL ALT DEL twice. That will bring up a logon screen that will allow you to logon to the Administrator account if you know the password. If you don't know the password, site rules don't allow us to help get around it.

Once you are logged on to the administrator account you can change the other user accounts to administrator type.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice