1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System appears maxed out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blindy8, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blindy8

Blindy8 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with 512 MB RAM and a 866 mhz processor. I recently upgraded from Millenium to XP (at the exteme urging of my User group) and the system, which worked well on the Internet, is now moving at a crawl.

I noticed that when I am accessing certain web pages, the processor speed maxes out to 100%.

Being I can't add any more RAM to this system (as I upgraded it to the 512 maximum for this motherboard) and the maximum processor upgrade I can make for this board is 1.1 G, which wouldn't create a significant difference, If I were to upgrade my 32 MB ram video card to one with more capacity, would that make any difference?

Thanks for any imput.

2. Hughv

Hughv

What web pages?
    What size is the HD and how much space is left?
    What other processes are running that might be unnecessary?

3. krolinked

krolinked

Upgrading your Video Card may help, but my guess is the difference will be so slight you may as well not have it.
    Video cards can help a system greatly when you've got a good one. But if you have only 512 MB RAM and such a slow processor, that would be your problem. Especially running XP on it.
    Did you have the same slugishness when running Millenium?
    Windows xp Requires a lot more power than Millenium...

4. Blindy8

Blindy8 Thread Starter

I had no problem with speed when using Millenium. It was only when I wiped the drive and upgraded to XP that everything slowed to a crawl on the Internet.Most webpages have slowed but I find my ISP, Optimum Online (Cablevision) is especially slow.

I've checked with msconfig to see if I have too many unnecessay programs in the start menu but it doesn't appear to be the case. The hard drive is only 30 G but it has 25G free.

I noticed, using the MZ Ram Booster utility that the processsor maxes out at 100% when going to certain web pages and that's when things are, obviously, particularly slow. After opening those pages or after navigating on them, the processor space is freed up.

I would suspect, at this point, that I don't have a system problem but that this system wasn't designed to handle XP. Dell supports up to Windows 2000.

The only other option left (aside from getting a new computer which will happen shortly) is if there is a software fix--something that gives the processor more power--although I suspect that that might be looking for miracles.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice