1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Automatically turns on

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by majmom5, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. majmom5

majmom5 Thread Starter

OS Windows XP Home. When I properly shut down my computer system the computer will automatically turn on. Last night I turned it off at 10:00 pm. I got up at 2:00 am, the computer was running. I shut it down again, got up at 6:00 am, the computer is running again. Last week at 4:30 pm I was in the den, the computer was not turned on, I was reading and the computer automatically powered up. I feel like gremlins are haunting us. I have cable, use Norton Firewall and Antivirus. My system is always updated with Windows XP critical updates and my antivirus is updated. One of the tech guys at work says even though you shut down a computer, it is never really shuts down. He says there may be a problem with the power switch. He suggested after I shutdown my system, unplug it.

When I mention this to people they look at me strange. I haven't lost my mind. What's happening? I need help. :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check your BIOS settings and disable all "Wake On" options.

3. strtrcr88

strtrcr88

Dell Computers have an option in their BIOS that starts it automatically, but this doesnt keep turning it on and on again. For Dell, i believe its F1 u push right when the logo is up, other computers acces differently.

Hope that helps

4. majmom5

majmom5 Thread Starter

OS Windows XP Home. How do I access my BIOS setting to turn off wake up options.

5. strtrcr88

strtrcr88

It depends on your computer manufacturer. Compaq, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. SweetChick

SweetChick

My Dell does that too, but I turn off the power at the power strip to keep it from selfstarting, I'll check the bios and see if I can fix it there.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!