1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system background processes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by psicomaka, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psicomaka

psicomaka Thread Starter

Hi!!!!
    I just want to know wich processes running in tne background are tottaly necesary and wich ones are not, because i just have 128 ram and i dont want my pc to be slow.
    I have windows xp home and right now i'm just using the internet explorer and the goggledeskbar and my internet conetion is LAN, broadband of 600megas.
    I noticed that some processes of my printer are working eventhough i am not using it... for example lexbeces.exe and lexpps.exe, I checked the programs at the startup with aceutilities and i only have running at startup the antivirus KASPERSKY ( kav.exe).

I just formated the computer and before installing some new softwares the list of running processes (the list that appear with CONTROL+ALT+SUPR) WAS VERY SMALL, but now is bigger.... i copied the pocesses runnign right now and here there are :

Program memory used

kav.exe 550KB
    wdfmgr.exe 32KB
    svchost.exe 332KB
    kavsvc.exe 928KB
    alg.exe 96KB
    explorer.exe 8.348KB
    iexplore.exe 16.204KB
    lexpps.exe 168KB
    spoolsv.exe 396KB
    lexbces.exe 40KB
    svchost.exe 104KB
    svchost.exe 664KB
    taskmgr.exe 1.524KB
    svchost.exe 10.544KB
    svchost.exe 1.416KB
    wmiprvse.exe 4.689KB
    lsass.exe 1.684KB
    services.exe 1.052KB
    winlogon.exe 1.364KB
    crss.exe 1.404KB
    smss.exe 32KB
    ggviewer.exe 424KB
    system 40KB
    inactive process of the system 16KB

can someone help me ?
    Thanks...

2. 1069

Hi,

You could try using this link to help you decide: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?type=&filter=&count=100&offset=0

Search for the letters before the .exe - example:

lexpps

N lexpps.exe For Lexmark printers. From Lexmark: "This enables bi-directional printing over a peer to peer network. If the printer is connected directly to your PC, the file is not used, (or should not be used) at all". It is known that firewalls can however alert you to "lexpps.exe" requesting server privileges

3. robert2513

robert2513

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!