1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Benchmarks Too Low

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coderitr, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

A couple of weeks ago I tried unsuccessfully to install Visual Studio 6 on my XP Home SP2 box. Since then, the performance has been poor. One thing probably has nothing to do with the other but that's when I started to notice that Firefox took 10 to 15 seconds to load and the XP splash screen stayed up longer on a reboot. I've defragmented and run and error check on the hard drive and it has no bad sectors. This evening I downloaded FreshDiagnose and benchmarked the read and write speeds of the hard drive. The read speed is excellent -- over 200 MB/s but the write speed is pathetic -- 3.47 MB/s. This is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA-II drive (the parallel recording technology.)

The CD benchmarks are pretty low too. I have a Memorex 16X DL DVD+-RW but the read speed is 3.67 MB/s.

These are all connected to Gigabyte 965SP motherboard having a Pentium D 3.4 gHz processor. Not overclocked and the temps and fan speeds are within normal ranges.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you brought up task mgr to see if something is using a lot of cpu time?

I assume the dvd drive is ide. Have you checked to see if it is running in pio mode rather than dma mode?

4. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Yes. There's nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I took the opportunity to clean up some stuff that I didn't need like the ITunes Helper and OpenOffice QuickLauncher that was starting at startup.

Yes, the DVD drive is IDE and no, I haven't checked that. Good suggestion. Thanks.

Applications take about 15 seconds to load.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thought; have you tested the hd with seatools?

6. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

No I haven't. Another good idea. Thanks again.

7. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Seatools for Windows reports long drive self test passed. This test took several hours and according to the help function, it's scanning every sector. Is there a tool to test the controller?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With your system at idle, open task mgr. See what it says under system idle. It should be around 95-99% If it is lower, see what else is using system resources.

If you want to check the controller, switch the drive to ide2 and see how it works.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/640773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice