1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System blacks out less than 2 minutes after loading any operating system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lexicality, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexicality

Lexicality Thread Starter

While doing some heavy video work, I managed to overheat my system spectacularly, resulting in the smell of burning plastic, all my fans going at 100%, all lights on the PC going off and all buttons becoming unresponsive.
    I pulled the side off to see what was going on and found a desert of dust in there. Possibly somewhat foolishly now that I think about it, I left it running with all the fans roaring away and directed my desk fan inside the case while I went and got the vacuum cleaner and an air sprayer and got most of the dust out. (Still with the system running. No, I didn't touch anything while doing this. The vacuum was held well out of the case, just to suck up the dust cloud.)
    I then rebooted it and it died in exactly the same way soon after. Through subsequent repeated crashes, I have established that it goes off at roughly 1 minute and 42 seconds after the "Do you wish to enter Safe Mode?" screen is dismissed. Any delays (such as being in the BIOS) prior to and on that screen do not affect the timing.
    Very oddly, safe mode works perfectly, and I can't see the bios complaining anywhere (not that I am remotely familiar with the BIOS.)
    I have tried:

• Booting normally - crashes
    • Booting into Windows Recovery - crashes
    • Booting into an Ubuntu LiveCD - crashes
    • Resetting the BIOS - no change
    • Taking the top fan off the CPU heatsink and removing the cubic meter of dust somehow compressed within the fins - The BIOS reported the CPU running 30ÂșC cooler than before, other than that no change
    • Using only one stick of ram, cycling between all four available sticks - no change
    • Using only one GFX card, cycling between the two available - no change
    • Moving everything in the area around to increase cosmic harmony et al - no change
    • Screaming obscenities - no change
    At this point, I've exhausted every option I can think of, bar googling "Tech Support" and posting in the most relevant looking forum, IE here.
    I have also ordered a motherboard speaker from EBay since it didn't come with one and I didn't bother to get one when I built it. That's not going to arrive for a couple of days so I'm just going to pretend for now that it's probably not trying to beep at me.
    Specs:

• AMD PHENOM II X4 955
    • MSI 770-G45 (MS-7599)
    • 8GB DUAL-CHANNEL DDR3 @ 666MHZ (9-9-9-24)
    • ATI RADEON HD 5850 (ATI)
    • ATI RADEON HD 5850 (GIGABYTE)
    (I'm not sure what 99924 means, that's just what Speccy said. I assume it's important.)

Help? :-(

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Does the PC boot up in Normal mode and works like normal then shuts down ...does it shut off and not come back on?

Does it work fine in safe Mode for awhile?

3. Lexicality

Seems to work completely normally, but after 2m the screens go black and every fan in the case goes into overdrive mode and none of the indicators or buttons (power/reset) do anything. The only way to turn it off is to flick the power switch on the PSU.

It ran for several hours in Safe Mode without any incident.

4. replay

replay

did u clean out the dust in the video card fans too???

5. Lexicality

Yes.

6. Megabite

Megabite

If the PC has intergrated graphics card then remove the slot in video cards and see the results

7. Lexicality

Unfortunately it doesn't have one.

8. Megabite

Megabite

Try uninstalling the graphic card drivers and restart the PC and it should reinstall them on startup.

If you have Vista or W7

Click Start>>right click Computer and choose Properties>>Device Manager>>Click on small arrow next to Display Adapters>>double click on your video card then Driver tab>>Uninstall.

Restart the PC.

If you have problems try the same in Safemode

9. Lexicality

Uninstalled them from Safe Mode, system booted up in 640x480 and crashed as before.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Does it still work in Safemode?

11. Lexicality

Seems to work as before.

12. Cybershaman

Cybershaman

My vote is on overheating. Try something crazy like leaving the case cover off and blowing a fan right into it.

13. Lexicality

[​IMG]
    Still dies after 1'42"

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Have a look at the Temperatures and Voltages in the Bios. Maybe post a pic of them here ?

15. Lexicality

Currently looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Earlier picture from when I had run it for 3 hours straight after cleaning out all the various heat sinks:
    [​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice