1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Boot Failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lafinr, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lafinr

lafinr Thread Starter

So I've been having problems with my computer booting up for several months now. I sent it back at one point, because they claimed they could fix it, and they did for a few months, but then it broke again. I've been doing some reading on other people with system boot failures, but I can't find anyone with exactly the same problem as me. Maybe you can help?
    When I start up the computer, you can hear the disk drive running very loudly. It will continually make a noise like its trying to spin a disk, then it stops, and starts up again. It does this as soon as I press the power button. The only way I have found to get around this is to put in the disk that came with my video card. Very strange, because no other disk works. Soon as I put the disk in, (which has to be pretty quick, because the disk slot closes on its own almost as soon as it opens) the computer begins to boot. It gives me the whole "system boot failure" screen.
    I have tried everything I can think of, including replacing my video card 3 times, with all different brands. That's what I was originally told was the problem, but I promise that isn't it. The only thing I can think of is that my motherboard is failing, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

P.s. I've reformatted and reinstalled literally everything several times, so that can't be it.

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    To get better help please list your computer information such a the brand, how old it is, service pack level, CPU, memory, etc. You can get a hardware diagnostic CD to boot to and then run some tests. When you say "you can hear the disk drive running very loudly" do you refer to the optical CD/DVD drive and not your hard drive ? Are the BIOS settings correct or default ?

3. lafinr

lafinr Thread Starter

How can I go about listing that info? I'm not too great with computer, so I apologize. I'm referring to the CD/DVD drive, and I'm not sure about the BIOS settings but they should be default, because I just reset them to default today.

4. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    That error can be from a non-bootable either a CD disk or even a floppy that is still in the computer. Most important is your boot order in the BIOS, most people have it like this; first is CD/DVD drive, then removable or hard drive. For that computer general information since it does not boot now, just look on the box or package, or type in the brand and model at the maker's web site to look for the system specifications, if you can use some other PC to do this.

5. lafinr

lafinr Thread Starter

im able to check the BIOS, which i've done and loaded the defaults. the boot order is as you said, except slightly different. It goes: CD/DVD drive, hard drive, then CD/DVD drive again. Not sure if this changes anything, but I kinda doubt it does. I'm able to get on my computer after tinkering with it, but I have to mess with it a lot. If there is anything you need from my computer to see or me to copy stuff from it, please let me know. I also considered updating my BIOS, but I'd rather not do that unless there is no other way, as that can permanently ruin the computer if I mess up. Like I said before, I'm not great with computers, so I really need some easy instructions for a difficult task haha. For the most part, all my drivers aside from my BIOS are up to date, and my BIOS are two years out of date.

6. lafinr

lafinr Thread Starter

I've figured out the error is coming from my video card. I have a ATI radeon HD 5570 sapphire video card. When I put my old video card back in, my computer booted normally, so I know the error is coming from my new one. Any ideas with that new information?

7. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Your BIOS boot device order should be changed to this if you mainly want to boot to the hard drive and not a CD/DVD disk and if your computer has only one optical drive; ( hard drive, then CD/DVD, then either removable or another hard drive ) Also check online for your PC system to be sure which video cards are compatible for your power supply unit and motherboard.

8. lafinr

lafinr Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'll be able to fix it from here! I really appreciate it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice