1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Build for Video Editing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpaceInvader75, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75 Thread Starter

I've been wanting to build a system for a while, and I'm kind of nervous because it looks like my first build might be for somebody else. lol But I've done quite a bit of upgrading and replacing components, so really the only thing I can think of now that I haven't done is mount the motherboard to the case. But I realize there are more things to go wrong, because everything is new.

I don't know much about video editing but here is what I am thinking so far:

1. ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard, full size, likely AMD, as I am more familiar with it, but if an Intel build looks like a better deal I have nothing against building Intel instead. I am thinking at least a Phenom 2 X4, maybe X6. I know it needs firewire. I think the system might benefit from RAID. I'm not sure what other features the motherboard needs.

2. I'm thinking it needs 8 GBs of RAM; I told them if they need to save money they might be able to start with 4, but I don't know how much this will effect the video editing performance.

3. I know it needs a video card; I'm more into gaming, but from what I've read gaming would benefit more from a higher end card than video editing.
    I like NVIDIA. I've looked at the GTX 460, but I'm not sure if they need a $200 card for this application? They definitely need something with HDMI, and dual monitor support.

4. They want to have at least one blue ray burner. They asked about 2 blue ray burners, but I told them I'm not sure there would be that much advantage to having 2. I'm assuming a multi core processor would be capable of burning 2 discs but I told them if that is an issue they might want to consider a separate copier. I haven't been doing much burning so I told them I will look into it more.

5. I think they are interested in RAID to speed up disc access time (if used the correct term there). I was thinking the would want a larger hard drive than 1 TB, but they asked about smaller drives or multiple partitions, because of concerns about slow access. I wasn't aware of this issue, but maybe it just didn't come up in my gaming. I'm reasonably sure video editing would be working with larger files, so I want this computer to be fast at disk access. I would imagine an SSD would help, but it might not be practical, depending on the hard drive space needed.

I realize I don't have a budget yet, so I wanted to give them what I think they need at a minimum, and then if they want to spend more they can. They will be primarily using Pinacle.

Since I don't know much about video editing, l would like some opinions, if I've left anything out, or maybe something more specific for the motherboard or video card. Also if you think 2 blue ray burners is a good idea, because I've never had a system with multiple burners?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice