1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System cant see new Seagate 120MB drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MyDoomVictim, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MyDoomVictim

MyDoomVictim Thread Starter

My eMachines T3985 can physically detect and recognize the presence of my new, second drive, a Seagate ST3120025ACE, 120 MB drive, But when the Windows XP comes up no logical volume letter is assigned to the drive.

The bios recognize the drive, the Windows XP information utility also sees the drive, its model, sectors, size, etc, but Windows does not assign a drive letter to it. I believe its formatted.

When this slot was formerly (and is once again) occupied by a 40MB seagate, the drive is detected, seen, and assigned the logical volume F:.

I believe that I have correctly configured the drive as a slave, the second on the IDE chain, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. ratchet

ratchet

Sounds like it's not formated, you might try the software that came with the drive or DiscWizard.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the problem drive installed, start the system and go to disk management. Start>run type in diskmgmt.msc and see what it says about the drive.

4. MyDoomVictim

MyDoomVictim Thread Starter

DiscWizard was a winner. Apparently the drive was formatted, but with a non Dos format. Yes, of course I should have learned this from the previous owner. I was able to format and partition the drive appropriately. Many thanks for the tips.

I'm going to take out a new thread in the appropriate forum to discuss how best to lay out my two non-symmetric drives to create a 2nd system partition, keep it current, and have it available to boot if my system drive is disabled in some way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/356485