1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System clock running fast

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gplracerx, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gplracerx

gplracerx Thread Starter

My system clock suddenly started running fast. It now gains about four seconds every minute. The pattern is odd. If I run ntpquery to time-b.nist.gov repeatedly, the offset slowly decreases in small steps by about one second and then jumps ahead by 3 seconds. I've tried lots of things that I found at the microsoft site like unregister and register w33tm.exe and I have increased the frequency of automatic updates to every 15 minutes, but this is a workaround, not a fix. When I look at the clock in the BIOS, it seems to keep the correct time, so I would think a motherboard battery problem isn't the problem. I'm going to replace it anyway, though. Any other ideas?

Btw, any psychics out there, please tell me where I hid the motherboard manual.

System details:

MB: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
    1 GB RAM (2x512 in dual channel)
    WinXP Home SP2 (updates up-to-date)
    McAfee Total Protection 2007
    wire connected to D-Link D624 router connected to the internet by cable modem
    I have a Buffalo NAS and another computer with a wireless connection to the router. Both of them are keeping time correctly.

2. gplracerx

gplracerx Thread Starter

Well, maybe it was the battery after all. I changed it and the problem seems to have gone away. The old battery tests ok with no load (3.1V), but computers are strange and wonderful things. I also found my motherboard manual.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice