1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Configuration Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by milenam, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milenam

milenam Thread Starter

I am having issues with my computer. My computers OS is Windows Media Center. And the brand of the computer is Gateway. I was having issues with my computer rebooting: like if i would try to shut it down the computer would not respond. So i looked under help and support and it told me to go to "msconfig" and uncheck one of the boxes there. So it told me to uncheck the "Load Services" box. So I did that, and then when I rebooted the computer I got this message that said "You have changed settings in the system configuration utility........you are in diagnostic mode to undo whats been done please go back to normal startup. So i did that and the computer was in the state as if it were in safe mode. And i have no idea what to do. I know there has to be a way to undo this. Also my system restore checkpoints were all deleted so i cant undo with sys. restore. Please help me whoever gets this message. I need help with the computer ASAP. I really appreciate your time. I will be waiting for a reply.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well you have lost your system restore points if you disabled all the Microsoft services.

In using msconfig, when disabling services, you first HIDE all the Microsoft services.

You should not look like your are in Safe Mode if all previously checked boxes are now checked. If you are, then there is a problem with your display adapter settings. Make sure you are using the same screen resolution and color depth as before.

To check that, right click on the desktop and select Properties > Settings. Typical settings are 1024x768 and 16 or 32 bit color depth.

You can still troubleshoot by using msconfig -- just follow these directions:

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << for Vista, but applies equally to XP, and better written.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in &#8220;selective&#8221; startup mode &#8211; you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

>> As for the message -- you will always get that after making a change in msconfig -- you will continue to get it unless you check the box not to show it again -- but for every change -- it will still reappear.

Just ignore it until you are through troubleshooting, and if you find a stable configuraiton -- then check the box not to show it again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!