1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Configuration Utility Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Writenow, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

This a.m. I was greeted by this System Configuration Utility message popup:

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the system Configuration Utility.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I used the system configuration utility to untick a program in the Startup menu. Is that why I am getting this message now?

If I follow the directions and select the Normal Startup option, will all the services that I have painstakingly turned off over time start running on startup again? Or will it just load the one application it changed?

Could I restore the registry from a few days ago instead? And, if I do that, will the tracking cookies I finally got rid of by setting them to be deleted at start-up reappear?

Another question I have is, what is the utility used for, if not to make changes? Is it just to look at? What good is it then?

HP Pavilion - Pentium(R) 4CPU
    160GB HDD 512 MB RAM
    Windows XP SP2 Home

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

You'll find plenty who disagree with me. You'll also find a number of threads with your problem or worse from making changes in msconfig. With all the great third-party startup managers available that have more options than msconfig, I see no reason not to use them. Though possible to dig a hole with your own spoon, I prefer somebody else's shovel.

Yes, I will go and sin no more - BUT what shall I do right now?

Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you start msconfig and check the box in front for normal startup, the message should no longer appear. Is there a problem with doing that? Or has it been done and still the message?

5. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

I must repeat my original question. If I follow the directions and select the Normal Startup option, will all the services that I have painstakingly turned off over time - using Control Panel Applet - start running on startup again?

I won't reiterate further but ask a different question (not to imply I am not still hoping for an answer to the first one): Would it not suit my purpose just as well to select the option to not show the message again and not run the utility on start-up? If not, why not?

Thank you.

6. stantley

stantley

Yes, you can just check 'Don't show this message again' and you're good to go.

7. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thank you very much, Distinguished Member.

8. happyrck

happyrck

if you ever uncheck anything else later...you will get the same pop up when you first boot...just do the same thing...

9. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Writenow:

To add to and clarify Elvandil's first reply to you, the programs that load during startup and run in the background can also be controlled by editing the SERVICES list.

If a service is set to Automatic, it'll load and run all the time. If it's set to Manual, it'll load and run only when needed.

To access the SERVICES list, click Start - Run, type in SERVICES.MSC and then click OK.

This site will assist you in editing the SERVICES list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

if you disable this message your system will permanently boot in 'selective start up' ... which may not constitute a problem. however, MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting utility and not a startup manager.

11. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank all of you who answered my questions. My problem is resolved.

I will never use the System Configuration Utility for my own deviant purposes again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709328