1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Configuration Utility error

Discussion in 'Networking' started by summer1974, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. summer1974

summer1974 Thread Starter

I have a COMPAQ laptop,Windows XP Home Edition
    Each time I start up my computer, the following message shows up:

"You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility."

I have already checked the "Normal Startup" box but after restarting, the message pops up again. :mad:
    I can't even connect to the internet, and my anti-virus doesn't detect anything bad. HELP PLEASE!!

2. valis

valis Moderator

Just tick the box on the bottom left that says 'don't show at startup'.....that will make it go away.

3. summer1974

i did check that box and it DID go away but for some reason it came back two days later and now i can't access the internet on that computer

4. valis

valis Moderator

ah....I'm going to move this into networking in that case.

5. valis

valis Moderator

when you go to start > run > type msconfig > enter > is the normal startup box checked on the general tab?

6. summer1974

yes it's checked
    also an ATI folder pops open with a CIM folder inside... what is this?

7. valis

valis Moderator

The ati thing is the same as the msconfig; just untick the box that say 'show at startup'.

We'll wait for a networking guru to swing by and help with the internet issue.

8. summer1974

awesome... thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice