1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Configuration Utility popup window

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MNevarez, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

I own a Sony VAIO VGN-FS742/W with XP Home SP2 running on it. For a week now, I've been trying to get the System Configuration Utility popup window to stop appearing everytime I bootup my machine. I've even gone as far as disable all of whats in STARTUP tab. Which didn't resolve a thing. Everytime I click on radio buttom to not showup but it still does. Is there any kind of Registry Hack that can be done to stop this?

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

This is normal

It sounds as if a change was made to what loads at startup using msconfig. There should be a checkbox asking if you want to continue displaying this in the future. Check or uncheck as desired. The box should disappear

3. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

I already did that and the popup box "System Configuration Utility" still ask me if I want to continue displaying it. All the posting's I've searched on the web says to check DISABLE ALL button. If done all of this and I still get the popup box.

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

http://www.vista4beginners.com/System-Configuration-Utility

5. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

bicycle bill, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition not Vista. That article didn't explain anything. Thanks for trying though. I know there must be something in the register to correct this issue.

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

MNevarez, Go to the link below, click on "Win XP Fixes", click on "Disable MSConfig Selective Startup Screen" and follow the instructions.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Tufenuf

7. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

Tufenuf, I did try "Disabling MSConfig Selective Startup Screen" followed the instructions and nothing happened. The System Configuration Utility popup still occuring. It seems that something on my system is overriding whatever I do.

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Did you restart your computer after you ran that fix?

I use "Starter" which is Free at the link below. If you wish go into MsConfig and set it to Normal Startup then download & install Starter and use Starter to disable items you wish to.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html

Tufenuf

9. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

Tufenuf, Yes I did restart my laptop a multiple of times. But that popup box still shows up. What could be causing this? I will try this as soon as I get home from work.

10. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

Tufenuf, I downloaded Starter and ran it. It's a very handy utility. But the "System Configuration Utility" popup box is still coming up everytime I reboot my machine.

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

MNevarez, The only other thing to try is to open Starter and checkmark all of the Startup items and restart your computer. Then go into the System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) and see if all items are now checkmarked under the Startup tab and it is set to Normal startup under the General tab. If it is then close the System Configuration Utility open Starter and uncheck the Startup items you don't want running at startup. This should eliminate that pop-up box.

Tufenuf

12. bogyi

bogyi

3 things to check...

(1) msconfig - disable if you see
    (2) regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    delete anything which is not needed
    (3) regedit and go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    delete anything which is not needed

Note: Back up registry before you go ahead and do it

best.

13. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

Tufenuf, Thanks for all of your suggestions. Wasn't able to get rid of the popup box. I might just have to rebuild my system from scratch (i.e. format drive) and see what happens from there.

Bogyi, Thank you also for your time.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Mnevarez, all you need to do is put a checkmark in that box that comes up explaining you have used system config utility and click ok and you should never see it again. I don't get what is happening here.
    tufenuf, are you the same guy I think from "computing.net"? Welcome you know your stuff!!!!

15. MNevarez

MNevarez Thread Starter

Rich-M, I've already placed a checkmark in the box of the System Configuration Utility popup. And tried everything that some of the members recommended, but nothing worked. I just don't get this. Very strange. It's like no matter what I do is being ignored. Also, whenever I perform any task in the System Configuration Utility it tells me that I'm not a administrator which I am.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604165