1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System configuration utility question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rookieguy, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rookieguy

rookieguy Thread Starter

Keep scrolling down as pics take up a lot of space.

I am trying to clean out things in my start-up procedure that I don't need when I boot up the computer. Initially I disabled everything. One particular item keeps getting put back on automatically somehow after re-boot. This particular item is related to Dell Support Center. I use it occasionally, but don't need it at startup. This is what is being re-selected. (note checked item)
    [​IMG]
    Here is the process with which I performed this. As stated, Initially I did a <disable all> and clicked on <apply> to which I get a message
    [​IMG]
    I click ok to the message above then <OK> to accept changes and I get the same message again to which I answer ok again. This seems to accept the changes. the next thing I see is the choice to restart or exit without restart. Either way when I do eventually restart I get this message below.

If I simply click ok it seems to keep the changes but dumps me back out to the system configuration Utility screen, which I don't want.

IF I check the box "don't show message or launch system config utility", the next time it I restart or power up again everything is as I selected except it puts the item "sprtcmd" back into the startup procedure again. How can I keep my changes and still not show this message everytime I start up?
    [​IMG]

2. karbo

karbo Banned

Go to Start / Run / type services.msc

Scroll down and find your Dell Support service and put it in manual if it's on automatic.

Or,

First unckeck the entry in msconfig (but do not restart your computer)

Then Go to Start / Run / type regedit

For items loaded from the Registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

You'll find a subkey for each disabled item. First back up the registry folder you want to delete by right-clicking on it and selecting "Export". Delete the folder of the entry you want. The entry should not appear anymore in msconfig's startup list.

3. rookieguy

rookieguy Thread Starter

Changing the service from Automatic to Manual seems to have worked. Thanks.

Any idea why I keep getting the access denied message (second screenshot above) when I attempt to change items in the startup procedure. I still seem to be able to change things I want, but the message is annoying??

4. karbo

karbo Banned

It may have been caused by malware or if you used a registry cleaner.

It can also occur if you have not designated an admin password during install.

You can do this by going to start>settings>control panel>users and passwords.
    Set up that "users have to enter a password". This will allow you to do just that.

When you are done, uncheck "users must enter password" this way windows will continue to log you on as usual...

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I can only see the screenshot of your SCU window and not your Services list, so I can't tell if you have a full-time antivirus program installed and running in the background.

--------------------------------------------------------------

All that Dell support center crap running in the background isn't needed because you can manually access it through the Start menu Dell entries or through the Dell website for your particular model name/model number.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. rookieguy

rookieguy Thread Starter

I use McAfee and have the entire Security suite.

Have used no registry cleaners, but run malwarebytes anti-malware and also SuperAntispyware scans (free versions) weekly. Pretty sure I created a admin password back when I purchased the computer.

I know of others who see this same message when attempting to apply changes to their startup procedures. Not sure what it is actually doing other than being annoying as the changes seem to stick.

7. karbo

karbo Banned

Yes, it's a known issue. Did happen to me a few years ago. Never knew why because I reformatted.

8. rookieguy

rookieguy Thread Starter

Here are screen shots of my services list. since I couldn't get them all in one screen the screens are in order with the last one containing parts of the 3 screen. Hope you can read them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It looks like McAfee puts all its startup entries in the Services list and none in the SCU "Startup" tab, so that explains why I didn't see any in your original screenshot.

I just wanted to make sure that you weren't running your computer without an antivirus program.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!