1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Configuration Utility

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by exb, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exb

exb Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Professional. When i get into the Startup menu within the System Configuration Utility i can see a number of Startup Items listed together with the Command and Location description for each Startup item. The location description is the same for each startup item - "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run." However there are 3 boxes ticked under the Startup Item heading with no startup item details (blank), no details under the Command heading (blank) but under the Location heading it shows - "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run."
    Can anyone tell me why I would have details showing under the Location heading in three instances but nothing showing under the corresponding Startup Item and Command headings?

2. Sponsor

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi exb,

The answer to your question may be any number of causes, e.g. a virus that was partially removed but not all remnants, an application that was removed but not all remnants, a virus that exists but has yet to be detected and/or removed, or an application that just does a lousy job of providing all of the details one would normally expect as you have.

The best tool I have found to reveal registry startup items in ALL of its places (msconfig does not do this, but only treats the standard ones) is Autoruns from: http://www.sysinternals.com/SystemInformationUtilities.html

I suggest you download it to find other startup locations in your registry.

If your registry items do not show up on spyware or AV scans, they may be ok, but check with Autoruns.

-- Tom

P.S. I run WinXP Pro SP2.

4. exb

exb Thread Starter

Thanks Tom, I will download Autoruns as you suggest and see what other startup surprises I have. I also run WinXP Pro SP2 -and furthermore no registry items show up in any of the spyware and AV scans. With regards to the three blank startup items what do i need to do to get rid of them? Does Autoruns provide a removal option? The System Config StartUp menu allows you to deselect the box against each start up item but i'm not sure how to delete these blank ones or whether in fact it is safe to do so.

5. exb

exb Thread Starter

Hello again - I downloaded and ran Autoruns as suggested and have been completely blown away by the sheer number of registry start up items shown. To be honest, I am at a loss as to what I now need to look for. Is there some way I can correlate the three blank items showing in the system config start up menu with what is showing in autoruns? If so, how do i then identify what these three start up items relate to and whether it is safe to remove them? Finally, how do I actually remove them? Thanks exb

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi exb,

Rereading your first post, here is what I would do at this point:
    Start->Run->regedit->Ok
    Click down the path in the registry from your first post, i.e.:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    and look for the blank entries.
    You can just highlight the entry in the right-hand panel, and then using the Edit pull-down menu, select delete to wipe each one of them from your registry.

I suppose there are other methods like using a registry cleaner that will get rid of unnecessary entries in the registry - Easycleaner (do not use duplicates as some OS files need the duplication) is one such tool, but if you have never done an edit to the registry - its fairly easy - its never too late to learn!

EasyCleaner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

-- Tom

7. hewee

hewee

Get from the link above that lotuseclat79 post Process Explorer v9.25.

Unzip it to it's own folder and run it. It should list the files and then you can high light it to find out more.
    You can right click on the file to get lots of other info and your also have the 2 pane that tells you what all other files that it uses.

8. exb

exb Thread Starter

Hi again, I ran Autoruns and searched for the missing culprits under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run without success. I may have previously said HKLM but the correct HKEY on second viewing is HKCU. Anyway, being a novice on the registry structure I reluctantly went into Start->Run->regedit->Ok as Tom suggested and followed the path HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Easy when you know how eh??? You fellas are absolutely fantastic sharing this type of knowledge. All of a sudden it starts to make sense - what was I afraid of?? I have now picked up what the HKEY structure of the registry is all about.

Feel free to correct any errors with my interpretation: Firstly that there are six main branches, each containing a specific portion of the information stored in the Registry as follows:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - This branch contains all of the file association mappings to support the drag-and-drop feature, OLE information, Windows shortcuts, and core aspects of the Windows user interface.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER - This branch links to the section of HKEY_USERS appropriate for the user currently logged onto the PC and contains information such as logon names, desktop settings, and Start menu settings.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - This branch contains computer specific information about the type of hardware, software, and other preferences on a given PC, this information is used for all users who log onto this computer.
    HKEY_USERS - This branch contains individual preferences for each user of the computer, each user is represented by a SID sub-key located under the main branch.
    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG - This branch links to the section of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE appropriate for the current hardware configuration.

Anyway, enough showing off. getting back to the issue I raised, I was able to match the three blank start up items which are showing in the System Configuration with three descriptive start up items showing in the Registry editor - these being: TransparentIcons, TransTask and Tweak-XP. I remember installing a free full version of Tweak-XP after reading about it some time ago in the Australian Windows XP Magazine, so I now assume that these three start up (no description) items in System Configuration relate to Tweak-XP although I'm not sure what TransTask actually means. Can anyone help me here?

Why then do these three items not show up in Autoruns? I also have a heap of queries regarding Autoruns which I will post at some later time so if you have some knowledge on its workings I hope to hear from you. Regards exb

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi exb,

The major part of the registry you cited are AKA Hives as you will no doubt run into as you surf the web or even MS's website.

I have no idea what TransTask is or means.

I do not know why the three items do not show up in autoruns - do they still show up in msconfig?

Here is another freeware tool to list startup items: Silent Runners which is a VBS script: http://www.silentrunners.org/

-- Tom

10. exb

exb Thread Starter

Hi Tom, Yes the three items still show up in msconfig. If I deselect these three items in msconfig, then the three start up items in Registry editor - these being: TransparentIcons, TransTask and Tweak-XP disappear. If I tick the three items in msconfig then they reappear when I run regedit. I will give Silent Runners a go. regards exb

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice