1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Configuration Utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by supag, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supag

supag Thread Starter

Hi,
    The below message keeps showing up every time I start my computer. I checked to make sure the utility is set to normal mode, which it is, however it keep showing up.

"You have used the system configuration utility to make changes to the way windows starts.

The system configuration utility is currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time windows starts.

Choose the normal startup mode on the general tab to start windows normally and undo the changed made using the system configuration utility.

(box to tick) Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utility when windows start."

I booted in safe mode and used hijackthis to delete the below line, however once I reboot in normal mode it does not show, however the next time I start my pc it comes back.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /autoO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

I have attached my hijackthis log below for you perusal.

I hope you can help me get rid of this annoying popup message.

Thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:58:33 PM, on 24/11/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0013)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\SCardSvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe"
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://speedbar.myway.com/menusearch.html?p=MG1
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iolo DMV Service (ioloDMV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\Common\Lib\ioloDMVSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

From your start button select 'run' then type in MSCONFIG.

If you've made any changes to the startup, here's where it will be. If not it may be time to look at malware.

3. The Hound

The Hound

Reboot, put a check in the box (the one you say 'there's a box to tick') , and click ok.

This is normal after using msconfig to disable startup items.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice