1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system confused about cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pbguru, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

ive got a brand new system with an amd 2500+ (checked it in the device manager when i got it)...but i was poking around in windows when i noticed the system information said i have an amd 1900+?!?!?! what the hell is this?!

is there any reason why it would change? (i had to take it in for service...but it couldnt boot till i got it back, so i know it was a 2500+ when i got it home cause i checked it) is there someone breaking into homes and switchin cpu's or somethin???

2. Romulus

Romulus

Download AIDA32 or SiSoft Sandra.
    Two nice analyzing tools that will tell you your exact configuration.
    If your using an old Windows it might be that it doesn't recognise newer systems.
    Please, try one of those tools mentioned above and you'll find your answer. :)

3. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

well im runnin windows xp pro

and i specifically remember checking it in the device manager as soon as i got xp installed and it said amd 2500+ ~1.8 ghz...but now its 1900+ ~1.1 ghz (aida32 says the same thing)

this is wicked confusing:confused: :confused: :confused:

4. suesman

suesman

Maybe a BIOS update is in order. I was reading a couple days ago where some boards would revert to the lowest FSB seting everytime you booted the machine. Even if you had just set it to a higher setting. Not sure if your board was in this catagory or not, but a search on their site should a few BIOS updates available for that particular board. One in particular includes a "Fixed Adjust FSB function fail" update. Maybe you should consider trying that & see if that helps.

Hope this helps.

5. Brockman

Brockman

maybe when you took it in for service they swapped computers on you

6. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

haha, i was thinkin that maybe they swapped them on me, but i didnt get windows installed until i got the comp back from them. once i had windows installed i checked the device manager, so they didnt swap it on me.

more weirdness: i have the latest BIOS for this board, and i think that may be the prob, cause i didnt dl it till 3 or 4 days ago (with the BIOS that came on the mobo, it showed a 2500+ cpu). im gonna have to see if i can get my old BIOS back

thanks all

7. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

well...reverting to an older BIOS didnt work...grr

8. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

ok...i called the comp store i bought the cpu and stuff from and they told me to up the cpu frequency to 166

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice