1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System crash when additional CD device added

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barny, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barny

Barny Thread Starter

My machine is fitted with a Toshiba DVD ROM devise that's works fine.
    I want to fit a CD writer into the machine also. So far I have tried 3 different brands of CD writers and none will work together with the DVD ROM.
    Symptoms are always the machine 'freezes' if I put a disc in either drives (other than the software disc). The writer / reader were wired in all possible different ways - always the same fault. I know that the individual devices worked OK as they would always work in isolation of the other CD / DVD device. Device manager always recognised the peripherals and said they were working OK - Any clues as to what's happening please?:)
    SUCCESS - BUT I'M NOT SURE EXACTLY WHY!
    I FITTED THE BURNER AS A SLAVE TO THE BOOT DRIVE & FITTED THE dvd/CD READER AS MASTER ON THE SECONDARY CONNECTOR ON THE MOTHER BOARD. I STRIPPED ALL THE CD RECORDER SOFTWARE & RELOADED IT. NEXT I TOOK A TIP FROM THE MS WEB SITE (REF; WINDOWS 98 - DUAL CD DEVICES USE THE SAME ADDRESS - CHANGE CONFIG & AUTOEXEC FILE TO GIVE INDIVIDUAL ADDRESSES). FINALLY (& THIS IS WHAT STOPPED IT FALLING OVER EVERY TIME I PUT A CD IN EITHER DRAW) I UNCHECKED THE AUTO START FOR BOTH CD DEVICES IN DEVICE MANAGER THEN REBOOTED.
    THANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE ADVICE!!!!!!!!!

2. slipe

slipe

If you bought a two connector cable and got an 80 wire ATA cable I have read that the master has to be on the end connector. I have no idea why this would be true but you might try it if you have ATA wire.

Have you tried the DVD slave to the HD on the primary if it wasn’t that way in the first place? It won’t slow it down.

There was a post with the same symptoms as yours on another board and the end result was that a replacement burner fixed it.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try opening device manager and unchecking the auto insert notification.....then reboot.

If that doesn't change anything, try changing the DMA....if it's checked, uncheck it and vice versa.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice