1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System crashed, can't reinstall XP 64

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rev Darkwing, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rev Darkwing

Rev Darkwing Thread Starter

My system crashed last night. Loading a heavy graphics MMORPG, the screen started stuttering and semi froze. It has happened before and I hard turn off computer and reboot and all is well. Not this time.
    This time I went to the "boot in safe mode" or "last good settings" or "boot normally" screen.
    None works. When I try to boot in safe mode, i get a string of lines and it stops.. then recycles. When I try to boot normally or at last good settings, I get the Windows booting screen with the horizontal scrolling then it turns off and starts the booting process again.

I went to CMOS and put on default safest mode and that didn't help.

Then I decided to reinstall Win XP 64 Pro, my OS. I set to boot first via CD drive and it starts the process and delivers me a blue screen with "Windows Setup" in the upper left hand corner of the screen but it proceeds no further. It just sits there and the CD stops spinning.

I put another HD in from an older computer with Win XP and it booted so I assume it's not related to the MB or CPU but I can't for the life of me figure out what to do next. If I can't boot in Safe Mode and if I can't reinstall Win XP64... I am out of ideas.
    I am planning on buying a new HD and installing my OS in it if I can't come up with an alternative.

Don't have all my hardware info but it's an AMD 2X64 cpu and a decent gigabyte MB with onboard graphics. I don't have a video card (probably part of the reason for the stuttering I figure).
    Thanks for any ideas as to how to proceed. I am desperate.. my business is tied to the net so I feel so... vulnerable. thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!