1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Crashes Im stuck!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zeddy, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

System:

Gigabyte GA-7N400L (latest Bios flashed) (NEW)
    Athlon 3200XP processor (Barton Core 400) (NEW)
    Artic Cooling Approved Heatsink (NEW)
    KingMax Turbo DDR433 Cas2.5 512mb (NEW)
    Seagate BArracuda 120gb ATA100 drive (NEW)
    Geforce Ti4400pro 4xAGP card (pulled from another working machine)
    WinXP SP2
    PSU QTEC 550w (pulled from another working machine)
    1xDVD
    1XCDRW

I have successfully loaded up windows but am getting some blue screens and reboots, particularly under load - i.e in Doom3, but also occasionally just mouse clicking to open a program.

The stop error suggests a CPU instruction relating to a memory error. I have tried the memory in another PC and it works fine. I am running everything at stock speeds and core voltages. The CPU is running a little hot (50c idle).
    I ran memtest overnight - no errors reported.

A bit lost on what to do next?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It would help if you posted the actual BSOD error message. Some people are able to tell from the detail more than the vague description above.

Clairvoyance just isn't working for me tonight!

3. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

50C idle good god. with that i am led to believe a heat problem. are you sure the HSF are on correctly? Did you use thermal Paste?

4. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

Error code 0000009c

Heatsink is copperbottomed and Silicone paste was applied thinly.

5. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

is the case new or old? how many case fans if any? and last but least what is the power of the HSF currently in use?

6. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

Good Aluminium case running with the case open mobo temp 38c HSF is a 3 speed 8cm one running a high speed of 2800rpm rated for up to 3400+ athlon. Model name Copper Silent artic cooling 2L.

Case has one intake fan (8cm) one exhaust fan (8cm) and PSU has 2 fams.

7. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

I think your in a spot of trouble with that good cooling with such a high CPU temp. i would put your lack of stability to it.

i suggest a new HSF for the Socket A definatly i would Rate the "Thermaltake Volcano 12" with speeds of 2000 RPM at 20c all the way to 5000 RPM at 50c thats with it self adjusting, it comes with a thing to control fan speed as well its PCI or 3 1/2"(floppy place) slots you pick :D.

But a noise warning with it at 5000 rpm it sounds like a jet engine but its one of the best fane out there.

Frankly 2800rpm wont cut it with that temp.

8. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

I just put a silver mountain 2 on it with dual fans running at 7000rpm, its still running at 57c. I dont know if its the sensor thats set wrong, it reports that temp in the bios, sandra and easytune4.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Take the fan grille off. I know it is there for a reason, to make it loud. LOL:D
    I run mine without the grille. 1/3 the noise.

10. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

FAN grill is off, I think that the motherboard diode is picking up a high reading on the temp than it really is. The Barton core can go up to 85c MAX, although I would like it lower I think that the issue may be a memory one not a heat issue. I have ordered 1gb (2x512 approved sticks) of Crucial memory to see if that makes a difference.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Might also be worth trying a non-NVidia card to rule that out as a possiblity - card and driver issue at once.

Does the BSOD offer any file names or other useful info? What about the Event Log, any errors?

Another point of interest may be the voltages for the CPU and RAM - are they the 1.65 and 2.5 volts they should be at or is the board setting these too low/high - with an NFORCE board you can use the NVIDIA System Utility to check these. The RAM voltage may need to be increased slightly from the default as this can help in some cases.

12. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

I'de hate to rain on your parade but the V12 has no grill begin with. ;)

13. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

14. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

thanks I'll check the link out

15. zeddy

zeddy Thread Starter

The CPU and memory are running at the right voltages. The error message points to the CPU committing suicide because of a memory or hardware failure - I suspect the ram might be giving the problem - though it ran through a thorough memtest without any errors.

Triple6 thanks I tried another nvidious card with the same issues. I now have also tried setting up with another board - an Asus Nforce2 board and had the same issues. The Asus board was running fine with the GF Ti board with a lower processor and PC2700 memory. Unfortunately I havent got another stick of PC3200 memory to run with the Barton 3200, I dont want to run in asyncronous mode as the Nforce boards are really picky about that.

Next step: I have ordered new PC3200 ram from crucial that they say is fully compatible with the board (I like crucial the memory is good and their support and returns are first class).

I have also ordered a Subzero4G cooling system to se if a little TE will address the cooling issue.

I don't usually get this stuck, having set up loads of systems already and appreciate the help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice