1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system crashes when mounting floppy device

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by basilmax, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. basilmax

basilmax Thread Starter

I am running a desk-top Dell OptiPlex GX1, PIII 450 768 Ram, 120Gb HD, floppy, CD-RW. After having replaced the original CD unit with a CD-RW one, by same manufacturer-Samsung- I experienced a strange behaviour from my linux system: it recognizes correctely the new CD-RW unit and the Floppy, the whole booting and mounting process seems going well and the OS does work, all applications do run, however when mounting a disk into the floppy unit, the system entirely freezes and I cannot shut it down via keybord or mouse. The only way to terminate the session is by switching the power off. I have two partitions, one for windows2000n and one for Mandrake9.1. The whole hardware works nicely under Windows without any problem, but does not work under Linux. I tried changing Linux distribution, but I get the same story with RH9 and Suse 8.2. So I went all the way back by replacing the CD-RW with the CD player, that worked fine before the replacement. Would you believe? Now even the previous HW configuration does not work.
    I go mad! what's up in your opinion?
    Thanks for any hint or support.

Max:(

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

hmm... i would say that its a hardware problem myself, because as you say nothing did this before. Either there is not enough power, or somthing blew.

Anyone concur?

3. basilmax

basilmax Thread Starter

well, this is my opinion too, but what puzzles me is that in Win2000 environment the whole bunch of hw does work nicely!
    Any one has better advice?

tks

Max

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Well i have knowns that nder windows it doesnt always take all the normal precaustions when using a device, so i have found that hardware problems dont always show up in windows, but as soon as you switch to a more dmanding operating system, then here are all thses hardware problems.

5. lynch

lynch

Look in /etc/fstab and see if there are any duplicate entries.
    lynch

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice