1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hupp3l, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hupp3l

hupp3l Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm really pulling my hair out because of this computer. I built it myself and it is my first one. First the stats.
    M/B: ECS PT800CE-A
    CPU: P4 3.0GHZ w/ Hyperthreading
    RAM: 2x512mb DDR400
    GPU: ATI Radeon 9600
    Sound: Creative Audigy 2 value
    HDD: 120GB seagate
    Windows XP Professional sp1

This system has been a bad one from the start. This is what happens. I can't leave it on for a long time. After a few hours I will be able to move the mouse but when I click on something in the bar where my clock is my computer hangs. Not only that bar but the thing is I can minimize some of my programs but then it will hang. After it hangs I get a beep. Just a nonstop single beep. like beeeeeeeep..... Another thing is I occasionally get the blue screen saying irq_not_less_or_equal. I know this has to do with the hardware. I have been through this problem for 2 months and it is not the ram(already replaced it with brand new ones) I updated my bios to version 10c wich supposedly fixes fsb800 issues. I really dont know whats wrong anymore and its bringing me down. My best guess is it is the motherboard. Can it be my cpu? Like I said everything works fine for a couple of hours( my guess is about 5).
    Thanx for your help I really appreciate anything you suggest to try.
    Hupp3l

2. ctuna

ctuna

Check your temputures of the cpu and board. sounds like a temp problem.
    May have a bad fan.

3. winbob

winbob

Yeah the constant beep may be a thermal ALARM? Check your MOBO manual.

4. hupp3l

hupp3l Thread Starter

I did check my temperature. It is 40 and below
    I have a question. when I applied thermal paste some of it got into that small hole on the CPU. Can that do anything bad?

5. NightLord

NightLord

I'd say that the STOP message "irq_not_less_or_equal" refers initially to a problem with a driver of some kind. However it may surely be induced by hardware trouble. I assume you tried to format and reinstall winXP and all? If not, try that first, just to be sure.

If it's the CPU's temp you should be able to crash your system with a stress test, or try a heavy 3D game of something. Motherboard monitor can monitor your mobo with temps, voltages and everything. Try running this when crashing your system. It has the option of writing a log file e.g. every second, that way you can check on the data after recovered from the shutdown. Make sure to have a look at the voltages too.

Link: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

I've had the same problem once (same STOP message, blue screens and everything) and it turned out to be both a damaged CPU and video card, only after replacing those two the system was fine again.

When motherboard monitor does not indicate anything wrong with your stuff try some tests under DOS, like a CPU stress test. My bet is that you'll find it there. Majorgeeks.com is a good site for those utils, but a quick google will definitely give you other options as well.

My experience is that if hardware trouble is not caused my the memory, the videocard is the second thing to look at. My CPU (AMD Athlon 3200+) breaking down was the first I've seen in years.

Good luck!

/NL

6. hectma

hectma

I have been having the exact same problem.

My setup:

M/B: ECS PT800CE-A
    CPU: P4 3.2ghz (Presscott) w/Hyperthreading
    RAM: 2 x 1gb PC3200/DDR400
    GPU: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600
    HD1: 30gb WD
    HD2: 250gb WD

As you can see, my setup is virtually the same as Hupp3l's...which leaves me hopeful and frustrated.

I have not had the "irq_not_less_or_equal" error, which leads me to aggree that that particular problem is a driver/device configuration problem on Hupp3l's system.

However his statement:
    "I can't leave it on for a long time. After a few hours I will be able to move the mouse but when I click on something in the bar where my clock is my computer hangs. Not only that bar but the thing is I can minimize some of my programs but then it will hang. After it hangs I get a beep. Just a nonstop single beep. like beeeeeeeep....."
    - is identical to my problem in every way.

I upgraded my bios to 1.1e (the newest version) which fixes problems with "some" DDR400 chips.

I have used two different sets of DIMMs and the problem continues. I have also tried the system with Win2000 w/sp4 (a clean, reformatted, perfectly fresh install) and the problem still existed. I have the most current drivers for all of my hardware.

I checked my cpu temps and its running around 44-46c. Additionally, I noticed the problem seems to occur almost at random....quite frequently when I am asleep and the system is just idling.

One slightly odd thing I noticed in my BIOS was that my RAM was only being recognized as 200mhz...when they SHOULD be 400mhz. I don't know if this is a problem with the motherboard detecting the RAM properly...or if its a setting I can change.....regardless I am fairly certain the overall problem has nothing to do with memory.

7. hupp3l

hupp3l Thread Starter

On my pc it also detects the ram to be at 200mhz. or it limits it or whatever. I am getting quite annoyed by my situation. Please let me know of any progress.

8. leprshaun

leprshaun

I have the same motherboard and almost the same setup you guys have, I got the IRQL_NOT_LESS bs for months as well and i finally fixed it by going into the bios and look for a setting that says ASSIGN IRQ TO USB DEVICE and disable it, that fixed it for me after all that time, it turns out my computer had conflicting IRQ assignments when i would attach usb devices (even the mouse).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice